Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2009 09:00

heatsink assembly / cooling / fan in a Dimension 3000 desktop

For about 8 months of the year my CPU is relatively quiet - most of the time it's actually silent - but in the summer months it can get quite loud and it drives me nuts. The window AC unit is even louder so I can't really tell whether or not lowering the temp/humidity in the room causes the CPU fan to quiet down. (But even first thing in the morning when the room is relatively cool and I first power up the computer, it can get very noisy very fast.)

I've thought about buying the smallest, quietest conventional fan I can find and putting it near the back of the CPU to get the air moving, but that would probably just be trading one noise for another. I'm going to be adding more RAM soon so will have to have the unit open anyway, so I was thinking...

Does a heatsink assembly include the fan? I assume it does because when I search for a replacement 'fan' for my particular Dell model, the heatsink assembly is the only part that comes up. And how difficult is it to replace this?

I welcome advice and guidance and thank anyone who can give me either or both.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 25th, 2009 11:00

The Dimension 3000 uses a proprietary passive heatsink, cooled by airflow redirected via a proprietary shroud from the chassis fan.

Have you opened the case to examine the heatsink? It is prone to dust clogging, which can seriously impair its efficiency. Simply blowing out any dust accumulated by the heatsink may solve your problem.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 25th, 2009 12:00

ceeann

Also, check the front panel air intake [behind the hard drive], to see if there's no dust buildup blocking the air flow.

See HERE

Bev.

4 Posts

June 25th, 2009 16:00

Thank you both.

I will definitely check for dust when I install the new RAM. I hope it's as simple as that, but wouldn't it be noisy all year 'round if it were clogged with dust?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 25th, 2009 16:00

ceeann

You are welcome.

Not necessarily, has the inside of the case been cleaned since it was received?

Bev.

4 Posts

June 26th, 2009 07:00

Bev -

No, it hasn't (she says, embarrassed). Opening the case makes my heart race and my palms sweat, so I only do it in desperate situations.

But as I'll have it open for RAM replacement, I will take care of the dust at the same time.

Do I just blow it out, or use a hairdryer without the heat or a brush designed for that purpose or a can of compressed air... what's best?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 26th, 2009 09:00

Bev -

No, it hasn't (she says, embarrassed). Opening the case makes my heart race and my palms sweat, so I only do it in desperate situations.

But as I'll have it open for RAM replacement, I will take care of the dust at the same time.

Do I just blow it out, or use a hairdryer without the heat or a brush designed for that purpose or a can of compressed air... what's best?

I recommend a can. And to take the unit outside for the cleaning, because it will result in clouds of dust.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

ceeann

No, please don't use a hair dryer, use a can or two of compressed air, this can be purchased from most Walmarts and computer stores.

The directions HERE may help.

I also, find that using small 1" soft paint brush can help with cleaning the fans, etc,.

Bev.

4 Posts

If I can still recall this Dim 3000 is a Mitac design chasis.  So it generally create loud noise.  For my suggestion you may really need to check which part the noise coming from.  Believe this should be one of the issue which happen long time ago, I forgot this is PSU noise or other part already but you can ask help from Dell support I believe they are aware of this issue.

regards,

Silly Solly

4 Posts

June 26th, 2009 10:00

Your suggestions are much appreciated - thank you all.

I will get some compressed air and use it outdoors. If the noise persists after that, I'll try to contact Dell support. If it turns out that I need a new fan, no doubt I'll be back to this forum for help installing it, because as I said, when it comes to computer repair I am a total wimp.

This was my first experience with the Dell forum so please tell me - is one supposed to "rate" responders and if so, how?

Cindy

No Events found!