Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

January 11th, 2004 07:00

high cpu usage=slow running comp

I just got a new hard drive and reinstalled windows xp and now the taskmanager has the cpu usage always above 50%. My computer runs dramatically slower than it did before. Ive run msconfig and shutdown all nonessential items at startup as well as checking taskmanager to make sure nothing is running in the background. If anyone has any help for me i would appreciate it.

Dell dimension 4550

2.66 ghz 512mb ram

windows xp

January 11th, 2004 13:00

Taskmanager, under Processes Tab, should show you what task is consuming the cpu cycles. Clicking on the CPU heading will sort entries.

January 11th, 2004 13:00

Check you Primary and Secondary IDE channels.  Any item running in PIO mode?

F.

12 Posts

January 11th, 2004 18:00

how do i check the primary and secondary ides?

January 11th, 2004 19:00

Device Manager will display primary and secondary ide's. Sorry, but I didn't read your original post careful enough. When you reinstalled XP did you install the chipset drivers? The chipset utility should be the very first thing run after the OS is installed. The 4550 has the 845PE chipset and running the utility is required with this chipset and XP.

12 Posts

January 11th, 2004 21:00

i have installed the driver but i think i installed the network driver first do you think that makes a difference?

January 12th, 2004 00:00

No that shouldn't matter. If you look at what processes are running in device manager does that show anything?

12 Posts

January 12th, 2004 02:00

i checked the device manager and looked at the two ides. They say run dma if available and they dont have pio selected so i think thats what your talking about. How do i check processes under the device manager. If you mean the taskmanager no nothing is running the system idle process is always in the 90s thats what confuses me. the system idle process and cpu usage contrdict each other. But when i load stuff it loads much slower than it used too. My friend and i play a game and i used to load about 30 secs faster than him now his compputer is loading faster than mine.  So i am sure it is running slower.

January 12th, 2004 13:00

No, I did mean processes under taskmanager. That is strange. Nothing using cpu in taskmanager yet cpu at 50%. I found a couple of things. Do you have a visioneer usb scanner:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303777&Product=winxp

There were several things mentioned in this thread that might be worth looking into:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1055080188

Also, have you installed Intels Application Accelerator?

12 Posts

January 13th, 2004 01:00

Thanks for all the time and help but nothing seems to work. It seems like every problem i have has no solution. the only thing i havent tried is disconnecting the usb card reader. I have no idea how to do this if you know i would appreciate the help.

January 13th, 2004 11:00

Limited knowledge on card readers, not sure. I did come across this. Do you have the MS USB Update to SP1 on?  It mentions usb devices using 80% of cpu. Might be worth a shot.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822603&Product=winxp

12 Posts

January 14th, 2004 01:00

Unfortunatly i have already downloaded that and nothing happened. I just dont think theres a fix i did the windows repair and have entire reinstalled and nothing works.

12 Posts

January 14th, 2004 04:00

Another thing that ive noticed is that i cant run more than one program at a time. I used to be able to run Aim, itunes and internet explorer at the same time. Now i cant run internet explorer without the music in the background starting to skip let alone have aim open too.

January 14th, 2004 14:00

I know you've just reinstalled everything but have you run a virus scan? This is really a strange problem.

12 Posts

January 15th, 2004 05:00

I ran virus scan and no viruses were found. This is so frustrating!!!!!!
No Events found!