Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2009 08:00

i need help formating my computer

i have a dell inspiron 531s vista, and my computer is running real slow and i was looking to erase everything,i have the operating disc and all the discs that came with the computer, soi was wondering how do i erase my windows vista and install it all over again, so it can be fast again like new.

14.4K Posts

February 27th, 2009 09:00

You have two options. The first which is the quickest is the Factory restore using the hidden partition on your harddrive. This is the quickest and easiest method and will return your computer to the exact same condition it was in the day you first fired it up. the procedure for the Vista version is HERE This method normally takes about 15 -30 mins to complete

the second option is to do a Clean install. You will boot your system from the Dell disk and install the os. Then you will need to reload all your drivers. This is the more involved method and can take a few hours to complete.

Note that either method will result in you loosing all your progams and data files that you added since you got the system.  So if you have important files you should back up your system first. Which would not be a bad Idea to do anyways.

2 Posts

February 27th, 2009 09:00

SO I BASICALLY I INSERT THE OPERATING SYSTEM DISK IN THE COMPUTER AND JUST FOLLOW THE LIST TO THE LINK YOU GAVE ME, IM NOT SO GOOD WITH COMPUTERS AND NEVER DONE A FORMAT BEFORE.

No Events found!