Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2008 09:00

lines on screen

I have a Dell Demension 8300 with a 17" Dell Ultra Sharp Flat Panel Monitor, suddenly the screen is covered in green and yellow lines, vertical and horizontal. I have checked all conections etc, even tried a restore  but no joy. Help would be appreciated

14.4K Posts

December 11th, 2008 14:00

have you run the monitor self test or tried it on another system? It could be the monitor or the video card.

Try booting the system into Safe Mode and see how the display looks.

70 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 13:00

Thanks for your reply,

I have tried the monitor on another computer and it works fine, I am about to see if the graphics card as worked loose, is there any thing else I need to check? while I have the case open.

14.4K Posts

December 23rd, 2008 14:00

Check all the other componets and cables while you are in there. If dusty might be a good time to get some compressed air in a can and blow the thing out.

A loose or not fully seated card can be the cause. Since we know the monitor is good that leaves the card, drivers, motherboard

70 Posts

December 27th, 2008 02:00

the cards fine, took it out and reinserted.In Device Manager I have two entries for the card 1)256MB DDR ATI Radion 9800 XT, 2)256MB DDR ATI Radion 9800 XT sec, is this ok and if not what do I do about it? do I need to buy a new card?

regards

14.4K Posts

December 27th, 2008 05:00

Yes the two listings in device manager is exactly what you should be seeing as the card is dual output therefore one listing for each output.

If your still experiencing the issue im not sure how you can say the card is fine. Just because it apperes in device manager and looks ok doe not mean that all is well.

The next step is to try running the dell diagnostics on the video card. Tap the F12 key at the big dell splash screen to enter into the diagnostics run the video tests and see how those play out.

After that an update or reinstall of the vidoe drives is the next step.

Also depending on how long you have had this card it could still be under some type of warranty.

14.4K Posts

January 1st, 2009 06:00

Get a new card. If after updating the drive you still do not have a good screen display and you are getting errors then the card is going.

70 Posts

January 1st, 2009 06:00

I have updated the driverfrom ATI this improved the display in so much instead of having very heavy banded lines the screen isnow  covered with small coloured crosses!

On running the diagnostics for the video I got the following, failure while writing to video memory,

Error code; 5300:0119, under this code, 2 items.

Error code; 2C00:021C, under this code, 1item.

Erro code; 5300:031E, under this code, 2 items.

Error code; 2C00:031B, under this code 1 item.

thanks.

70 Posts

January 5th, 2009 04:00

Thanks for your help, have you any tips or procedures that may help in replacing the card, such as taking out existing drivers etc before installing the new card, it's been a long time since I opening the case up and I am becoming forgetful.

14.4K Posts

January 5th, 2009 05:00

This is the best way

Get the new card. once you get the new card, go to the vendors web site and download the latest drivers for that card. Place that file onto the desktop

Pick up a copy of DriverSweeper. Download and install the program BUT DO NOT RUN IT.

Go to control panel add/remove and remove your current cards drivers. Shut down the computer

Replace the cards. Boot into Safe Mode. Press the F8 key as the bid Dell splash Screen. Once into Safe mode. Run the Driversweeper for your old card. For example if you old card was an ATI card you click on the ATI box then the scan button I think it is and then the clean button. Once you have run driversweeper boot into regulat mode and install the new cards drivers that you placed on the desktop.

70 Posts

January 6th, 2009 09:00

Cannot find the same card or a simular one that I would recognise, would you be kind enough to suggest one?

many thanks

No Events found!