Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2012 12:00

mSATA drive for cache, not for system drive in XPS 8500 (i7-3770)

I am new to using an ssd so please be patient with me.

I want to leverage Intel Smart Response with an mSATA drive.  I have done some reading that suggests that 64gb is the max used for caching.  Is this correct?  If not, what size should I be looking at.

In looking at the Dell manual (pdf) it appears that the mSATA drive slot provides its own data and power connectors rather than using cables like the other SATA devices.  Is this correct?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand and model?  I am already considering a Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD3.

September 28th, 2012 13:00

Hi,

If you want to use mSATA drive as cache to the main hard drive, 64GB is the maximum size that can be assigned for caching in Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

mSATA drive has its own data and power connectors which connect to the mSATA slot on the motherboard. Here is a video for the mSATA drive installed on the motherboard and the procedure to disconnect it.

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3514/7180.DR22_5F00_MSATA.wmv

If you are considering Crucial mSATA drive, this is the drive that you need to select : http://bit.ly/UU8CHA

Hope this helps.
Please reply if you have any further questions. 

62 Posts

September 28th, 2012 15:00

Thanks Manpreet C.  That is exactly the info I needed and the item you suggest is the one I am considering.  Have a great day!

September 28th, 2012 17:00

Thank you for the response.
I am glad that I was able to answer your query.
Please reply if you have any further questions.

Glad to be of help. 

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.          

No Events found!