Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 7th, 2013 16:00

mSATA specs on XPS 8500

Does anyone know whether the mSATA connector specs on the SPS 8500 motherboard are SATA II or SATA III?  I'm going to use a SSD as the boot drive for my XPS 8500 and am trying to determine whether to put a SSD on the motherboard's mSATA connector or to use the motherboard's only SATA III connector/port for a SSD (which now has the factory Seagate hard drive on it) and move the Seagate to one of the available SATA II ports.  Any recommendations?  Does it make a difference where the Seagate HD is connected (SATA II or SATA III)? 

Thanks.

DoctorDED

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 7th, 2013 22:00

'As far as I know' an mSATA or a regular SSD will have similar performance. Using the mSATA socket frees your SATA III port for other uses, but note that you will need a pair of M2 screws to fasten the mSATA device. (You can get these on eBay.)

An mSATA SSD is more compact and will not take up a drive bay, nor will it require a SATA cable and power connection.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 7th, 2013 18:00

I suggest connecting the Seagate to a SATA II port.

AFAIK the mSATA is SATA III. I have a Plextor 128gb installed in mine.

7 Posts

July 7th, 2013 19:00

Thank you for your response.  However, I still don't understand which approach is preferable---install a mSATA SSD on the motherboard mSATA connector, OR install a SSD using the SATA III connector and move the Seagate HD to a SATA II port/connector?  Which of these will yield the best result, or will they be equivalent in performance?  Finally, what does the "AFAIK" reference mean from your reply? Thank you,

DoctorDED

No Events found!