Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2011 22:00

power supply problem on xps700

I have a XPS 700 desktop computer and when I turn it on the power on button flashes amber, if I turn off the computer on the power button and then back on again, it still flashes, same if I unplug it and plug back in. if I unplug and leave over night unpluged, it will start when i plug it back in.

I have had the mains lead tested and is fine I have pluged tower in its own socket and even tryed in my mums house all still act the same

I have change the hard drive, graphics card and installed new operating system.

I have check all leads and plug inside and all look ok and all plugs are fully plugged in sockets

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2011 04:00

This sounds like a power supply problem.  The next time it happens instead of just unplugging it and then immediately plugging back in, unplug it from the mains and leave it off for about 5 minutes and then plug back in and try.  If this works it would suggest the power supply is most likely the problem.

14.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2011 18:00

If it is a power supply problem you can only use a XPS700/10/20 Power supply No other supplies will work with these systems. Dell or Ebay would be your choice of obtaining one.

What you should do is strip everything out of the system except the CPU. Try powering the system  and note if there are any changes.

7 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 19:00

Just a thought - are you using a UPS between your mains and your system? Certain models (mine is an XPS9100) require a specific type of UPS that supplies pure sine wave power, instead of a regular UPS. I'm not sure if that is true for your earlier model.

Also, if you have a power strip in there, try plugging your system directly into mains and nothing in between.

Although you didn't mention either a strip or UPS, so not sure if this might be any use.

No Events found!