Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2016 15:00

printer won't print with new computer

I have a small desktop dell inspiron  model 3646 and ever since getting it last year my lexmark x2650 printer combo won't print  most of time until I reboot. It then works  a few times and then I have to reboot again and it prints again. I also get a message communication not available usb port. I have unplugged and plugged into another a port and get same results.It does this over and over.

I have updated the driver for printer to best of my ability and still same issue. The printer prints great so it is not printer.

Thanks so much!

31 Posts

July 1st, 2016 16:00

thanks so much. I have windows 8.1 and it is a 64 bit. Is that what you mean?

How do I do this I have avast-Please check the antivirus software and give exceptions to the printer files, can you tell me how to do that? I will try and find a different usb  cable.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Open Device Manager in Windows and expand the list under USB. Double-click a USB root hub and then click its Power Management tab. UNcheck the box "Allow PC to turn off..." Repeat for all USB root hubs and exit Device Manager.

Now open the Power options screen in Windows 8.1. Select the active Power plan and click the link to change settings. On the next screen, click the link for Advanced Options. Look for USB in the list at the left and DISable USB Selective Suspend. Save the change to the Power plan.

Reboot and see if that helps solve the problem.

331 Posts

Hi perplexeds,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Please check the antivirus software and give exceptions to the printer files. Check if you can use a different USB cable to connect to the computer. Let us know the version of Windows OS you’re using on the system.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

31 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 07:00

Thanks I did as requested  by RoHe, may I ask what that did?

Also how do I do this? Please check the antivirus software and give exceptions to the printer files.

Is it under the windows firewall? I looked there and it shows about 6 of my printer. That is strange. It shows public and private and has boxes checked is that what you mean by your antivirus or do you mean my avast. I don't know how to change either. Thanks for your patience and help.

331 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 13:00

Open Avast and go to settings> active protection> file system shield> customize> and check for the printer files and place a check on X (Execute to run the files). Also check with another USB cable.

31 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 14:00

thanks so much.

great directions. I found this

Open Avast and go to settings> active protection> file system shield> customize>

I clicked on everything under that and do not see check for the printer files and place a check on X (Execute to run the files) would it be in another place or am I overlooking it. Thanks again.

331 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 14:00

Please check for the files using this link http://bit.ly/299VxUc, from Lexmark support. You may also open Avast from the Windows system tray, select Avast Shields control> Disable until computer is restarted. Check if your able to print and if you're able too then add the files from the Lexmark support to the exclusion list. Have you tried with a different USB cable?

31 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 16:00

thanks so much.

I am sorry I don't know how to find my files

on my windows firewall it shows private and public network settings they are both on.

private network is NOT connected and public is, do I change that and how?

under allow apps there are 6- 2600 series server- 4 or checked under name

over to the right under private 2 or checked and under public 4 are checked.

yes I replaced cord and I still had to restart computer. I don't understand why it works a couple of times and then I have to restart. I have a feeling it has to do with the firewall settings in windows, is that possible? Thanks so much

331 Posts

July 4th, 2016 18:00

Thanks for the update. As we have eliminated the USB cable now. Request you to completely uninstall the printer software and drivers, ensure there is no copy of the printer is left on the system. Disconnect the USB cable from the system. Download the driver using this link http://bit.ly/29sa3we. Restart the system and run the downloaded file. Connect the USB cable, only when it prompts you to connect during the software installation. If there is any popups from your antivirus software for the printer files, please allow. Please try this out and keep us posted on the status.

31 Posts

July 5th, 2016 07:00

thanks so much, the software is in that download  NOT just driver correct? Just making sure before I uninstall my old one.Also how do I  ensure no copy remains.

Thanks again for your help.

331 Posts

July 6th, 2016 15:00

Please uninstall only the Lexmark printer software, which includes the drivers. Go to the devices and printer folder and check there is no copies left after uninstalling the printer. You're welcome and let us know how it goes.

July 10th, 2016 04:00

Hi Perplexeds,

Following up to check the status of you printer. Please get in touch with us for any concerns.

Regards,

DELL-Prajwal N

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell

No Events found!