Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2010 19:00

"Error loading Operating System" please help!!!!

I have a Dimension 4600 Series which was working just fine.  It had a slight issue of running slow every now and again, but other than that, was great.  My daughter was lookin' up driving directions, but couldn't finish due to it running slow at that moment, so she quit lookin'.  A little while later I walked by the office and noticed the computer was shut down.?????? 

I pressed the start button and it appeared to start okay, it got through the Dell screen, but then the screen went black and showed this error message: "Error loading Operating System."  Can someone please help?  I have no idea what's goin' on with it.

Thanks so much in advance for your assistance... 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 9th, 2010 05:00

From the description either the hard drive has failed or there is a corruption on the hard drive causing Windows not to load.

Many Dell's have a diagnostic partition on the hard drive, accessed by F12 at boot up and if yours has this, run the diagnostics to see if anything shows up.   If all is OK then the first step would be to boot from the Windows XP disc and run a "Repair" operation, and if it was just a corruption that will take care of it.  When you  the Windows XP disc starts you will be given several options, one is "Repair", select that option.

July 25th, 2010 14:00

Sorry for the delayed response, but thank you, thank you, thank you.  It worked!  I really appreciate your help.

No Events found!