Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

BM

June 15th, 2007 10:00

reboot then device problems

I had to reboot my dimension 2400 series and have two faults on device manager,I cannot clear two yellow ? ondevice manager Ethernet Controller and SMbus Controller if any one can help Please??

1.8K Posts

June 15th, 2007 17:00

Billy Moses wrote:
I had to reboot my dimension 2400 series and have two faults on device manager,I cannot clear two yellow ? ondevice manager Ethernet Controller and SMbus Controller if any one can help Please??

When you say "reboot" do you mean restart your DIM 2400? or do you mean reformat as in hard drive? Did you have the yellow marks for those two adapters before and after the "reboot"?
I'm assuming that you're running WinXP on the 2400?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 15th, 2007 17:00

If you reinstalled XP, did you install the chipset driver immediately after installing Windows? And did you install the correct driver for those other 2 devices?

http://lt.dell.com/lt/lt.aspx?CID=18958&LID=430618&DGC=IR&DGSeg=DHS&DURL=http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c%3dus%26l%3den%26s%3dgen

Ron

June 17th, 2007 09:00

hi,
     I reinstalled from the cd and when i go to devices i have the yellow ? saying ethernet controller in properties it says "pci bus 1 device 9 function 0 not installed (code 28) also ? sm bus controller properties " pci bus 0 device 31 function 3 not installed" I have not istalled any other device Billy

1.8K Posts

June 17th, 2007 16:00

The drivers you install after the OS installation, need to be installed in a particular order:

If you did not install the drivers in this order it can affect the performance of hardware drivers installed after that. Likely, you'll have to repeat the OS installation process to rectify the problem...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 17th, 2007 23:00

Just download the chipset and install in Safe Mode. Then reboot normally and install the rest of the drivers your system needs.
Video, audio, network, modem, in this order.

Ron

June 21st, 2007 15:00

Hi Ron,
             I will try that have downloaded chipset to a pen drive and will try your suggestion,have only got the one yellow ?? now that is for the ethernet controller.Billy

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 21st, 2007 17:00

@Billy Moses wrote:
Hi Ron,
I will try that have downloaded chipset to a pen drive and will try your suggestion,have only got the one yellow ?? now that is for the ethernet controller.Billy

Yellow for ethernet, before or after installing the chipset driver? If after installing the chipset, download a fresh copy of the correct ethernet driver for your system and install it after booting normally (eg, not in Safe Mode).

Ron
No Events found!