Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2016 10:00

support for xps 8700

I am trying to resolve some wireless issues on my Dell XPS 8700 desktop. I am having problems maintaining a wireless connection (Dell Wireless 1704 card) since upgrading to Windows 10 this summer.  On the Dell Support web page, the current system configuration shown for my system identifies it as Windows 7, not Windows 10.  I am trying to see if I have the current driver for my wireless card for my system but system detect reports that all my drivers are up to date.  The current driver for my wireless card is dated 7/30/2015.  The Dell website shows an updated driver for the 1704 wireless card dated August 2015 and this driver is apparently for XPS 8700 systems running Windows 10.  However because Dell Support does not detect that my system is running Windows 10, this newer driver is not identified for download to my computer.

How can this be corrected at Dell.support.com so that I can make certain that I am getting the correct driver updates for my computer.  Thank you for any assistance.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 8th, 2016 11:00

The Dell page will show the original OS. Use the Change OS arrow to change it to 10. Then use the Dell driver finder to look for updated drivers.

Also check your System  page to verify you have win 10 and it is activated. Right click on Start to open System.

The current wireless driver is from 2/27/2016 on my 8700.

• 

17K Posts

December 8th, 2016 11:00

Aane,

I have reported your request and questions to the team that handles the site. Hopefully, they can get the site to recognize when and OS is updated by a customer. Then have the site provide the correct driver updates when they need updated drivers. Unfortunately, in the meantime you will need to manually download and update the drivers.

1.2K Posts

December 8th, 2016 12:00

I have had nothing but problems with Windows 10 and older Wireless devices.

My workaround has been to toss the WiFi BT cards, and use wired networking to a router setup as a wireless bridge.

I used an Asus RT-N66U  (RT-N66R same router, different part number) which can be found refurbished for around $40 to $50 from the popular eTailers.

The other options are USB Wifi adapters that are newers and have Win10 drivers included. I did not go this direction because I had the spare router and it works flawlessly.

No Events found!