Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

BG

December 30th, 2007 01:00

use standard atx power supply

I have a 4300s (small case) that I have to power on 3 to 5 times to get to boot--works fine after--I think I have a weak p/s, would like any info about this. computer was given to me ,can anyone tell me if the atx plug is standard or not (thinking about putting it in another case with a standerd atx p/s, but don't want to fry motherboard)
any help will be appreated

December 30th, 2007 01:00

Thanks for moving, sorry I can't help, I put a message on the old thread with the new location.

9 Posts

December 31st, 2007 03:00

I have been looking at ATX pin outs & they seem to mate up with the P/S diagram from dell ,except pin 18 on the diagram shows (n/c) & the standard pin shows (-5). Will this be a problem?

December 31st, 2007 11:00

Which pin 18 are you talking about, I'm not too familiar with all the connections?

650 Posts

December 31st, 2007 14:00

they are talking about PIN 18 on the DC CONNECTOR "P1" which is the standard 20-pin ATX mobo connector.

N/C just means Not Connected which also normally means it doesnt go anywhere so it wouldn't matter if there was a LIVE wire connected to it.

Message Edited by lpprikej on 12-31-2007 10:39 AM

9 Posts

January 1st, 2008 02:00

Thanks,I thought it might be ok. I have more stupid questions--would the box of a standard p/s have to be grounded to the case or does the wires connected to the motherboard take care of this?---also would it be ok to remove the #18 wire from the new p/s just to be safe? & how would I do this?

Message Edited by Ben Gone on 12-31-2007 10:48 PM

650 Posts

January 2nd, 2008 11:00

the PSU grounds when it's attached with screws to the case.  The wires when plugged in also ground it through the MoBo to the case.
You could cut the 18 wire and cap it, electrical tape or wire nut etc... but I have yet to see a newer Dell have an issue with a Standard PSU.

OMG-Content Filter wouldn't let me use the word S C R E W E D lol.   I wanted to say "that word" to the case....

9 Posts

January 3rd, 2008 20:00

Thanks for the info. I have to boot computer 3 to 5 times to get windows to load (just black screen & power stays on until then) Does any one agree with me that this is a P/S problem? Well at least I know if I get a bad deal I can say --Boy ,I really got"attached with screws"---Thanks again
No Events found!