Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2009 11:00

video card for Inspiron 530

I recently upgraded the video card in my Inspiron 530 to an EVGA GeForce 9500, which met the requirements for my sons' video games.  Unfortunately, it locks up when they play their video games and it also "ghosts," looking like my old TV did when I used rabbit ears as the antenna.  I can't deal with this ghosting, as it I'm a photographer working in Photoshop.  Is this too much card for this computer?  Is it possible the Windows Vista is part of the problem? 

1.7K Posts

November 9th, 2009 12:00

If you have the card registered with EVGA, you can get their free tech support.  Did you have a video card in the system before or integrated graphics?  If you had a dedicated video card, did you uninstall the drivers and reinstall as shown HERE.   Do you know what Nvidia driver version you are using?  The 530 will either come with a 350W or 300W power supply.  Do you know which one you have?  It will be shown on the sticker information on the side of the power supply.  Either one should be fine for the 9500 GT, however.  What resolution monitor is being used?  Is your son setting the resolution and other settings too high for the 9500 GT as it would be considered a low-end video card for gaming?  Vista would not be the problem. 

2 Posts

November 9th, 2009 13:00

I had a GeForce 8300, I believe, not integrated graphics.  I removed it, uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled.  I went into Device Manager to make sure I had the most updated drivers.  Not sure what my power supply is, but I'll check when I get home.  I forget my monitor resolution, but it's the second to highest.  The highest one (native) doesn't fill my monitor screen.  Prior to this card, I had purchased the same card but made by Sparkle,.  It didn't have the ghosting, but it did lock up, and it had some weird "snowiness," so I assumed it was defective and got this one.  I'll try reinstalling the drivers as shown in the link you gave me, but I don't hold out much hope.

No Events found!