Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

September 25th, 2013 21:00

3 monitors on Dell Optiplex 990 -- most recent advice -- this might clarify but I still have a question about DP to DVI adapters

Hi,

So my Optiplex 990 with AMD Radeon 6350 and onboard Intel should support three monitors, DELL tells me, IF I enable multiple monitors in BIOS Video (done) AND connect one cable each to the VGA, Display port and AMD card. 

(Dual monitor support works with the AMD card now with a DVI splitter, but even with Multiple Video enabled, the computer will not recognize the third VGA, as the tech support person predicted).  So I need to get an adapter for the third monitor.

Question: Do I need an ACTIVE Display Port to DVI connector or just a plain old Dell adapter?  Mixed messages on Amazon regarding this.  Anybody?

TJ

September 25th, 2013 22:00

Hi TJ,

As there are different configurations for the OptiPlex 990 system, three displays may or may not work.

Share the Chassis form factor and the operating system installed.

Also, check the PCI slot on which the discrete Video card is installed. You may look for the settings in the system BIOS.

• Turn on (or restart) your computer
  • When the DELL logo appears, hit the F2 key about 6-7 times immediately.
  • Go to ‘System Information’ to check the ‘PCI Information’.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

September 26th, 2013 20:00

Hi Kuldeep, It is a 990 DT chassis, Windows 7 enterprise 6.1.7601 service pack 1

PCI Information

Slot 1=VGA compatible

Slot 2-4 Empty

I tried disconnecting one of the paired monitors coming out of the dvi-split cable, and then completely disconnecting the monitors, except for one connected to VGA onboard output.  No luck with either.  I enabled multiple displays, and windows will simply not recognize anything outside of the ATI Radeon configuration.

Is there something I should do?  Will Windows recognize a monitor attached to DisplayPort? I'll need to buy a cable if so, but don’t want to go to the time and expense if this is not going to work.   Planning to call tech back but you know how long that takes.  Best, Tom

September 26th, 2013 21:00

The splitter is a DMS 59 to 2 DVI outputs.  The computer signaled when I disconnected one monitor even though it was turned off.  Perhaps the computer will not power the Intel onboard unless there is only one DMS 59 to DVI connector?  You would think that trying to connect one monitor to ATI Radeon and one to Intel onboard VGA should have worked.

September 27th, 2013 01:00

Hi Tom,

The integrated graphics provide one VGA and one Display port and the AMD Radeon 6350 card provides one DMS-59 connector for dual-DVI or dual-VGA support.

I will suggest you to connect two monitors using the integrated ports i.e. one on VGA and the other on the Display port and try connecting the third monitor to one of the connectors on the DMS-59 to DVI output.

You may also try connecting the two monitors on the DVI splitter and the third to the integrated display port.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2014 14:00

Hi,

I never thought this would happen to me... I just did this on a Windows 7 64-bit enterprise Dell Optiplex 990. First enable Multiple Video then boot the machine with the DVI splitter connected to two monitors via DVI cables and the ACTIVE Display Port to DVI connected monitor. Only the ACTIVE Display Port to DVI connector will display. When the desktop comes up, Shutdown and restart again. After the reboot, all three DVI monitors will display. Then go into screen resolution settings and have fun. Worked for me anyway.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Scott.

No Events found!