Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

November 9th, 2011 21:00

7 Beep Error code on shutdown after 'blue screen' lock-up.

I have an XPS 8100 which has been running normally for over 12 months until this blue screen crash. Can anyone help with the beep codes?

I have run all the diagnostic scans and psa scan and hard drive scans without any errors.

One possible suspect might be the backup battery for the bios clock is under voltage... ? Any suggestions?

Cheers

Geoff

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 10th, 2011 03:00

7 beeps, according to the Dell beep code chart I have is a CPU problem.  

Specifically: Description, CPU Cache Test Failure.  Possible Cause, CPU Failure.

3 Posts

November 10th, 2011 04:00

Thanks fireberd, if it is cpu related it must be intermittent or temperature related. The pc is running ok now, for the time being... If it crashes again I guess I will be calling Dell servicing to come and have a look at it.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 10th, 2011 06:00

The Setup Guide Page 33 has the Beep Codes.

Dell Studio XPS 8100 Service Manual - Documentation

Dell Studio™ 8100

Dell™ Technology Guide View Download (HTML, 4.87 MB)
Dell™ Technology Guide View Download (PDF, 3.00 MB)
Setup Guide View Download (PDF, 936 KB)
Service Manual View Download (HTML, 1.62 MB)
Comprehensive Specifications View Download (PDF, 76.6 KB)

Regulatory Information

Regulatory Compliance

Regulatory Model: D03M series
Regulatory Type: D03M001

Viewing PDF Documents

It is recommended that you download PDF documents to your computer, instead of viewing them using your Web browser.

Microsoft® Windows® operating system — PDF files require Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®, which can be downloaded from the Adobe website at www.adobe.com.

Initial release: 07 January 2010
 Last revised: 11 March 2011

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 10th, 2011 06:00

If it does it again, especially after being on for a while or CPU intensive operations such as games it could be heat related.  If  that is the case I would suggest cleaning the old heatsink compound from the heatsink and CPU and replacing it with properly applied "Arctic Silver" brand of heatsink compound.  That is the best on the market and what most techies and gamers use on their systems.

3 Posts

November 10th, 2011 13:00

Thanks Guys,

I think that answers my question.

Regarding the Beep Codes, after reading the service manual I was surprised to not find them under the Error Codes chapters, and, equally surprised to hear that they are in the Setup Manual which I didn't think to look in because I was obviously not doing any 'setup'.

If I get a definitive resolution of this issue I will post again. Many thanks for your assistance.

1 Message

August 5th, 2013 18:00

This is exactly what is happening with my XPS Studio 8100. Did you have any positive results or did you buy a new system?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 6th, 2013 06:00

Beep Code              Possible Problem

One                          Possible motherboard failure - BIOS ROM checksum failure

Two                          No RAM detected

NOTE: If you installed or replaced the memory module,

ensure that the memory module is seated properly.

Three                       Possible motherboard failure - Chipset error

Four                         RAM read/write failure

Five                         Real Time Clock failure

Six                           Video card or chip failure

Seven                     Processor failure

:emotion-9:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 13:00

I too have a studio XPS 8100 which intermittently produces a STOP screen with 7 beeps. Any suggestions welcome

DaveTaylor2

Seven beeps, indicate a processor failure, first try removing and reinstalling the processor, together with reapplying the thermal  compound to the heat sink and processor, to see if this makes a difference.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-8100_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-8100_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2013 13:00

I too have a studio XPS 8100 which intermittently produces a STOP screen with 7 beeps. Any suggestions welcome

No Events found!