Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2008 17:00

A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort0 and VISTA

I have a Dell XPS 710, with 6Gig of RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX.

I am running Windows Vista 64

In the event log I keep seeing

A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort0

and the system freezes for about 10 seconds, any ideas?

Many thanks

155 Posts

June 28th, 2008 17:00

Are you running a RAID array?  If so what type?(1,2,3,4,5,6,JBOD)  What motherboard chipset are you using?  What type of hard drives, how many and which are on the RAID array?  Is the RAID array controlled through the motherboard or an add-on controller?  Do you have any sort of RAID monitoring software?  What is the ID# for the event log error?

6 Posts

June 28th, 2008 18:00

Thanks for the fast repsonce.

I am not running any RAID.

I have 2 x 250GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drives

I have an XPS 710 Core 2 Due E6600 2.4GHz

6 Gig RAM

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme

The Event ID: 5

Hope this helps

155 Posts

June 28th, 2008 19:00

That error can sometimes be cause by lose or damaged cables or cables that are to long.  Maybe check to see that the cables are good and seated properly in the slots. If that doesn't work...

Can you provide some additional info from the event log please.

Log Name:

Source:

Event ID: 5

Level:

User:

OpCode:

As well as the blurb about the error in the box above this info.

Just to clarify your two hard drives show up as two individual drives, not partitioned, on your system right?

Message Edited by Drange on 06-28-2008 03:05 PM

6 Posts

June 28th, 2008 19:00

Log Name: Windows System Log

Source: nvstor64

Level: Error

User N/A

OpCode: 'it is blank'

The only blurb in to box above is 'A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort0.'

I have checked the cables and they are all OK

The Hard Drives show up as two individual drives

155 Posts

June 28th, 2008 21:00

Okay give this a try.  Download the latest nVidia nForce drivers.  If you have them already installed or don't want to update them then use a program like winrar to decompress the files to a temporary directory.  Go into your device manager and under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers manually update the nForce Serial ATA controllers using the Serial ATA drivers in the temp directory or where the installer decompressed them to.  Under Storage Controllers remove the nVidia Raid Controller.  Let me know if that works.

Message Edited by Drange on 06-28-2008 05:15 PM

6 Posts

June 29th, 2008 05:00

I got a message saying 'Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date'

Under storage controllers there is...

Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller

I have also noticed that under Disk Drives there is

SAMSUNG SP2504C SCSI Disk Device

SAMSUNG SP2504C SCSI Disk Device

But my disks are not SCSI they are SATA

155 Posts

June 29th, 2008 15:00

Try uninstalling the nForce drivers then reinstall them without the SATARAID Driver and the RAIDTOOL Application.

The SATA drives showing up as SCSI may just be a function of Vista.  It could be problems with using the wrong drivers at Vista install or how Vista is handling the SATA device.  It shouldn't be affecting your drives performance.

14.4K Posts

June 29th, 2008 17:00

The SCSI in the drives is normal

the Storage Controll listing has three instances because you have 6 SATA ports.

The first instance is for ports 0 and 1 

2nd fior 2 and 3

3rd for 4 and 5.

If you are getting a parity error  on port 0 then that would be your primary hard drive. run a diagnostic on it. 

Message Edited by Davet50 on 06-29-2008 02:46 PM

6 Posts

June 29th, 2008 18:00

I will try this later, thanks

6 Posts

June 29th, 2008 18:00

Can you recomend a diag utility?

14.4K Posts

June 29th, 2008 19:00

The Dell diagonostics on the sytem access by using the F12 option at boot.. is rather time consuming on hard disk.

Also check the Samsung web site for any utilities ..

1 Message

August 5th, 2008 09:00

Hi,

I have the same issue on my 8 month old  XPS710. This has a single 300GB SATA2 drive and the error is:

>A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort0

I am using the nForce nVidea Serial ATA Controller driver 10.3.0.21 (25/1/2008).

Can anyone tell me if there is a newer driver, or what the factory installed driver was so that I can roll back. This driver seems to have issues.

I also have CHKDSK errors on my disk that cannot be fixed - orphaned files. The disk checks out healthy with all HD tests, as does memory. The parity errors occur when writing large files to disk. They do not stop the computer (no freezing yet) but they are worrying me :smileysad:

Appreciate some help... thanks.

No Events found!