Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

January 22nd, 2007 05:00

Blue screen: Invalid_Kernel_Handle

Hi,

I have problems with my new Dimension 9200 (WindowsXPPro) showing a lot of Blue Screens with Stop Error: Invalid_Kernel_Handle.
I am not entirely sure, but as far as I can remember, this crash always happended when transfering large amount of data via network (computer is running in a little home environment, connected to a gigabit switch).
As I said, I think it always happens during tranfering data, for example for backup purpose.

I am also pretty sure, that it never crashed when transfering the same data via usb to an external usb drive.

Is there a solution for this nasty problem?

best,
Walli
P.S I didn´t change hardware so far.

1.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2007 06:00

Walli wrote:
Hi,

I have problems with my new Dimension 9200 (WindowsXPPro) showing a lot of Blue Screens with Stop Error: Invalid_Kernel_Handle.
I am not entirely sure, but as far as I can remember, this crash always happended when transfering large amount of data via network (computer is running in a little home environment, connected to a gigabit switch).
As I said, I think it always happens during tranfering data, for example for backup purpose.

I am also pretty sure, that it never crashed when transfering the same data via usb to an external usb drive.

Is there a solution for this nasty problem?

best,
Walli
P.S I didn´t change hardware so far.

There are other forum members that can be of better assistance than I, but I suspect it is a time-out handler that is causing the problem. Hopefully the better educated will chime in here....

13 Posts

January 22nd, 2007 07:00

hope this might help you.. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=183169 and last is http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=137539

just try the first one.

13 Posts

walli can you please indicate the stop error number so that i now what specific error is that.. sample: stop:0x0000001E...just write down the stop number...

22 Posts

this is my Stop Error number (hope I did count correct ;-) )

0x00000093 (0x000002F4, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000,)

13 Posts

if you're using a modem, you need to download and nstall the latest modem drivers from support.dell.com. hope that will fix the problem.

22 Posts

no, I am using the Gigabit Ethernet to get access to the web (via Router), I am not using a modem.

13 Posts

are you using a modem? is that a 3rd party hardware?

13 Posts

if you're using an ethernet, you need to download and install the latest driver of your ethernet and that will solve the blue screen error.

22 Posts

January 22nd, 2007 08:00

hm, the device manager tells me, that the driver of my Intel(R) 82566DC GigabitNetworkconnectionis this version: 9.4.21.0

The one from dell driver site says: 9.4.17

1.3K Posts

Walli

My response was tied to the gigabit controller being the culprit.

Here is a scenario:

Computer A = Dell Dimension 9100 with onboard gigabit ethernet BroadComm controller.
Computer B= Generic build with 10/100 Ethernet Lan adapter.

Both computers A and B are on a gigabit hub with with auto switching. Here is where you get into a time-out handler problem. If the data from B to A gets packeted, then B to A stalls causing an error. Too many errors in a session may cause read / write errors on A thus contributing to the BSD.
I have known of 100Mb file transfers to corrupt on a fiber optic LAN. It does happen.

I am not certain, but suspect this is the problem.  

Message Edited by ManyDimensions on 01-22-200704:48 AM

13 Posts

if that's the case, you need to uninstall and reinstall the driver if you have the updated version.

13 Posts

January 22nd, 2007 10:00

since that you have the updated version, you need uninstall the driver and reinstall it..i apologize for the delay reply on this thread..

22 Posts

January 22nd, 2007 11:00

well, the backup "machine" is a gigabit NAS (BuffaloLinkstation).
Is there a way, how I can check for to many errors? Logfile or something like that?
By the way, it worked on my older machine (also GigabitLan) without problems, so I thought it also should worrk on a brandnew Dell.

1.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2007 21:00

You have every reason to believe it should work.
Yes there are log files for network errors.
Depends on the OS you are using where they are located.

22 Posts

January 24th, 2007 04:00

thanks for the hints, but before I try I would like to "update".

First, I also got response from Arconis - I am using Arconis True Image to do my daily backups (at least, if it would work).
True Image fails on the Dimension 9200 and first Arconis said it would be to long names/path of my files - which is not the case.
Now they want me to install a driver called SnapAPI and in case the backups still don´t work,I should manually replace the C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one they send me, reproduce the error and send a logfile to them.

Could this be a related problem?

Second, yesterday I again had a bluescreen, this time it said:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
0x00000050
The only thing running was IE7, showing a quicktime movie and perhaps OutlookExpress (I am not sure, because I just was getting a cup of coffee when this happened)
Same problem or something different?

Actually I never had that much problems with a computer...

best,
Walli
No Events found!