Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2011 09:00

Can't find proper driver to replace corrupt one.

Hi,

The keyboard driver on my Vostro 400 is corrupt and I'm not able to find anything other than a wireless keyboard driver for my PC, but mine is a USB keyboard.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 14th, 2011 10:00

We need some more details...

What version of Windows?

Why do you think the keyboard driver is corrupted?

Have you tried connecting the keyboard to a different rear USB port?

Do other USB devices work?

Ron

March 14th, 2011 10:00

Hi Ron,

Sorry, I meant to elaborate.  I've been hanging onto XP since it's worked for me.  The Device Manager tells me that the driver is corrupt.  I tried rolling it back and updating but neither worked.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and still no dice.  I have tried different USB, but it was a front USB, I'll try another rear when I get home.  I haven't specifically tested other USB devices, but others are connected...I'll check those too.

Thanks,

Josh

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 14th, 2011 13:00

I still use XP too...

Basic keyboard drivers are built into XP so you can't just download them from somewhere and install.  Keyboards should always be connected to a rear USB port.

Do that and then reboot. If that doesn't fix it,  let us know if the keyboard works at all.

Ron

March 14th, 2011 13:00

Okay, thanks.  Another thing that occurred to me is that just before this happened, I had been having trouble with my Comcast cable internet connection and I had been running their Desktop Doctor.  It did make some system changes in attempts to remedy the problem, there's a good chance that might have had something to do with it.  I kind of got tunnel vision there when my keyboard quit.  I may try a system restore to a time before I used the Desktop Doctor.

March 15th, 2011 10:00

H Ron,

The problem persists.  It definitely is a software/driver issue, I've discovered that I'm not the only one who's had this problem.  If you Google: Keyboard doesn't work and error code 39, you'll find a couple of discussions with proposed fixes.  One person wrote a script to automatically repair the registry but it didn't work for mine, then he suggests a manual fix, but that begins to get beyond my skill level in that what I'm reading in the registry editor doesn't necessarily match what he's saying to look for.  I tried restoring my PC to several different dates in the past and it didn't want to take for any of them.  I work at the University of Illinois and so I got a free copy of Windows 7 and I figured I would take this as a clue to finally upgrade, but apparently there's something wrong with the disc I burned because it didn't want to do a clean install or an upgrade (I'll talk to our campus IT who provides this to see if they can help).  I run a pretty clean PC and I fix problems for many family members and some friends, so this is unusual for me to have so many problems with resolving something.  Anyway, I know what the problem is, I think I'll focus on the operating system upgrade to see if I can get that done and maybe buying a wireless keyboard since those do have their own drivers to be installed.  By the way, the keyboard works before I get into Windows.  i.e. I can hit F2 or F12 to get into Setup and Boot Menu and then use it in those modes.  So yeah, definitely a Windows issue.  If you have any more tips, I'm all ears!  :o)  Thanks again,  Josh

Code 39

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Cause

There are several causes of Code 39 errors:

• A required device driver is missing.
  • A required binary file is corrupted.
  • There is a problem with the file I/O process.
  • A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.

Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 15th, 2011 11:00

Does the keyboard work at all? Do you have a Win XP CD?

Boot from the XP CD and press R at first screen to launch Recovery Console

At C: prompt, type in: chkdsk c: /r

Press Enter

Go take a long nap. When it's done, remove the CD and reboot normally.

If that doesn't fix it,

Maybe you can try this:

If the wired keyboard doesn't work at the desktop, but the mouse does, try using the on-screen keyboard to run a Windows System File Check (sfc).

Click Start>Programs>Accessories>Accessibility>On-screen keyboard

Using the mouse and on-screen keyboard,  click Start>Run and type in:

sfc /scannow

(NOTE the single space between sfc and /scannow)

Click OK

Have XP CD handy and let sfc run. It may take ~30 min.

If that doesn't work, you probably have to run a repair/reinstall of XP. You'll need your Windows CD and -hopefully- the keyboard will work in the Repair/Reinstall .

Ron

EDITED - I'm brain dead today!

March 15th, 2011 17:00

Hey Ron, I came home, booted up my computer and what do you know?!  I have a working keyboard! lol  I think what happened was, I downloaded a software package from Logitech for a wireless keyboard and installed it.  It didn't seem to work at the time, but maybe I didn't try rebooting it.  I also uninstalled the driver for the keyboard, but I had done that before, so I'm leaning towards the Logitech solution.  Thanks again for all of your help!  It's great to have people like you around who are willing to help out!  Wow, that was the most frustrating computer I've had in recent memory!  More incentive to buy a laptop to have as a backup.

Josh

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 15th, 2011 17:00

Glad you got it sorted. Sometimes there are no explanations - Thank you, Mr. Gates! :emotion-4:

Computers are little boxes into which you pour lots of :emotion-31:

Ron

March 15th, 2011 18:00

Ha, no kidding!  Have a good evening.

Josh

No Events found!