Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2007 19:00

Computer is making a buzzing / low grinding noise at boot....then it quickly goes away.

Hi all:

I have a Dimension 4700 with a Pentium 4 Hyper Threading processor working at 2.80 ghz.  The unit came with 512 mb of RAM (installed at the factory via 2 X 256 MB cards).  But just this last week, I added in 2 mb of RAM, via a pair of 1 gb cards (PC2-4200, 533 mhz, DDR2).  After I dropped them in, I got the normal "Your system memory has changed" menu upon reboot.  I verified that the system was seeing the new memory and exited.  The computer worked fine and continues to operate well.  But....

The past few days, when I've booted up the computer, it starts off making this nasty buzzing / low grinding noise. It only lasts for the very initial part of the boot-up sequence, then decreases and then completely disappears as the booting progresses, with it being completely gone before it gets to the "Select username" option in Windows XP.

Where is this coming from?  I can't imagine it's the memory, since I did what the manual said, installing them in pairs and the 533 mhz is one of the speeds that my manual said the computer was designed to use.  Plus, after that intial noise, the computer runs completely silent again, never locks up and is just fine....I can obviously just tell that there is more memory because it is speedier.

The system came with a 40 GB drive, of which there is only 10.9 GB remaining. But several months ago, I installed a Western Digital SATA 250 GB drive in the extra drive port. It works very well....the only thing that is odd is that I will hear it shut down lots of times during the day when it obviously isn't being used.

So, any ideas?  I can't figure out why I'm hearing that noise!  What can I do to fix it?  Are there any drivers that I should of updated first or need to update now?  Did the BIOS need to get updated?  And why, oh why, would it only last for 20-seconds or so and then immediately go away when you are ready to log in with a user?

Thanks much!  Let me know what other information I can provide...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

mdhaus

Run Dell diagnostic's extended test [not the express test] on the system.

How to run the Dell Diagnostics Utility.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

18 Posts

For virus protection, I'm running Avast version 4.7

I'll try running that Dell diagnostic test.  This is just so weird, since it only last a little bit, then it is completely gone and the computer runs normally again.

4.8K Posts

mdhaus,

Does your system have a floppy disk drive?  What anti virus software do you use?

Steve

18 Posts

I don't have a floppy disk drive on-board....I just hook one up via USB if I ever need one.

However, I did notice something rather odd:  My computer has two disk drives, a DVD drive and a CD-RW drive.

But when I go to Windows Explorer and look in the "Devices with Removable Storage" section, it has THREE drives listed:  DVD drive D:, CD-RW E:, and DVD drive H:     Nothing is hooked up to the computer via USB.

Why are there three drives listed there?  Could that be part of the problem?  That it's grinding away trying to find a third drive?

I'm not sure how long that third one has been listed or how it got there to begin with...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 15th, 2007 20:00

mdhaus

That might be the answer, the system is searching for non-exsisting drive. Disable it in the setup and see if the noise stops.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

Message Edited by shesagordie on 07-15-2007 04:11 PM

18 Posts

July 16th, 2007 04:00

Well, I tried to run the Dell Diagnostic tool, the Extended version....and it got hung up when it was scanning the 250 GB drive. It would get up to about 8-10% on the "Reading" test on the drive, then it would start over for some reason.  This literally went on for like 5 or 6 hours so I aborted the test.  Before it got to that point, it went through a bunch of other tests, with no error messages popping up.

So I decided to run the "Quick" test. And it got through this one fine....but I never got a report on what the results were; it just finished the test and went back to the main menu.  Do I just assume that everything was OK?

When I was restarting the computer to run the test, there was no noise.  I even did a complete shut down and let it sit for several minutes a little while ago and there was no noise when I turned it on and started "from scratch" either.

That mysterious third disk drive is still there....but in Set-Up, I couldn't find which one it was or how to disable it.  If I select "Drives" in the set-up menu, these are the options I get:

*Diskette Drive
*Drive 0:  SATA-0
*Drive 1:  SATA-2
*Drive 2:  PATA-0
*Drive 3:  PATA-1
*SATA Operation

I put some disks in to check and this is my actual drive structure:  C: Factory-installed hard-drive, D: DVD Drive,  E: CD-R Drive, F: extra hard-drive that I installed.

It is listing an "H: DVD Drive" that, to me, shouldn't be there because it isn't legitimate.  Any ideas on how to remove that drive?  And why would noise now just come and go??

Thanks!
No Events found!