Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

October 16th, 2006 18:00

Configuring a PCI Card with 2 Serial and 1 Parallel Port for a Dimension 5150

Can anyone help with this subject?
I installed a PCI card from Oxford with an OX16PCI952 PCI Paralle Port and two Serial Ports.
Using the manufacturer drivers, Windows XP installed the ports and recognizes them in the Hardware List, as LPT3 and COM3 and COM4. It says the devices are running properly.  However I was not able to use a serial mouse connected  to COM4, even after setting up the mouse drivers. The paralle port is not listed in the system specifications using the Windows XP program.
I need also to recofigure the serial port to transmit at 2400 bps.
What can I do to fix the problem? 

Thanks.

labalast

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 17th, 2006 00:00

Are you sure this card got installed correctly?

Not totally certain, but if this system has a modem installed, it may already be assigned to COM1 but your mouse software may only be able to look on COM1 for the mouse. In that case, you may have to uninstall the modem in Device Manager and put the modem card out, then install the mouse on COM1. reinstall the modem and assign to COM3. But out of curiousity, why do you need a serial mouse? A USB mouse is cheap and would be a whole lot simpler to install. To reset COM port speed, open Device Manager, expand list under Ports and select COM. On Port Settings tab, you should be able to change the speed.

I don't understand. You said LPT3 is listed in the hardware list. Do you mean Device Manager? And what Windows XP program system specifications doesn't have it listed? If it's in Device Manager and not marked with ! or X, it should be functioning correctly.

Ron

13 Posts

October 19th, 2006 11:00

Thank you Ron for your repply.
I have an USB mouse installed and it is working.
I need a serial and a parallel port to program different kinds of microprocessors.
As I mentioned the device manager from Windows XP Pro recognizes that two serial ports and a parallel port are installed and working properly. However when I used a serial mouse connected to the serial port, after installing the mouse driver I could not get any answer.

labalast
No Events found!