Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2009 12:00

DELL IN2010N Monitor changes resolution on PC restart (Auto Adjusts)

Hi Guys,

I have a DELL XPS 210 Desktop with a DELL IN2010N Monitor which I just bought. The max resolution on the monitor is 1600x900 so if I adjust to these settings using the Intel Graphics Controller Utility everything displays fine. When I restart the PC the monitor goes back to / auto adjusts to 1440x900 resolution despite the settings on the  Intel Graphics Controller Utility and on the traditional display resolution settings stating resolution is on 1600x900 i.e the monitor says 1 thing and the PC another after restart. Once I reset the settings to 1600x900 all is fine again. This conflict is causing fuzzy characters. Please advise if there is a fix. Tried downloading latest monitor and display adapters but no joy.

THANKS

6 Posts

November 5th, 2009 16:00

I am getting the same problem.   I have a 545MT, Windows 7, onboard Intel G33/G31 graphics.   Lettering is wobbly and obviously wrong until you re-adjust it.   As 'howiecanning' says above, you have to go in, change the settings to something else, then reject the change and hey preseto the IN2010N is now running at 1600x900 (when you check the monitor's on board menu).  

I too have up to date drivers for graphics card and monitor.

SimonEC

6 Posts

November 6th, 2009 11:00

Update:   There is a workaround that less of a pain than changing the video settings every time:  Simply turn the monitor off and back on again (!)   Alternatively just turn on the PC one minute before you turn on the monitor...      Before you turn it off and on again the monitor is sitting at 1440x900, when it comes back on it is at the correct 1600x900...  All the while the PC has been set correctly at 1600x900.  Shouldn't the monitor 'remember' what it was last set to?    Clearly it needs to see the PC when it starts up to get its setting right.

I suspect this monitor needs a new driver...

SimonEC

16 Posts

November 6th, 2009 12:00

Would have thought the monitor would get the res settings off the PC and auto adjust accordingly. Its a monitor problem/ PC monitor conflict. Dell pls advise. My other PC's don't have the issue with their monitors

6 Posts

November 10th, 2009 15:00

I raised a case with Dell email support.   They believe that the next driver for my video card (the on board Intel G31/G33/Q33/Q35) is likely to fix this, though there is no guarantee.   This seems plausible, since right now there no Windows 7 driver for this card at all on the Dell site at all.  There is no date for when an update may be available, but I am happy to wait, turning the monitor off and on again is not too bad a chore in the grand scheme of things.   So while there is no guarantee, you may find that a new video driver for your card will be available one day that may fix it.   

I wonder how many people with a new Dell this never notice the fuzzy characters on their screen and simply don't know this sort of annoying bug is happening...

SimonEC

16 Posts

November 10th, 2009 15:00

I'm experiencing the problem on XP Professional. Pity I cant switch Auto Adjust off on the monitor. Thanks for getting back tho

268 Posts

November 11th, 2009 07:00

Folks,

I suspect that this issue cannot be fixed with a BIOS or Video Driver update. When a system boots, the video card will request a table of supported resolutions and timings from the monitor via a communication standard called DDC. This is true regardless of the video connector utilized (VGA, DVI, HDMI etc...).

It appears to me that this communications is failing due to timing issues (monitor is not ready when the video card makes its request). I'm basing this theory on the fact that switching the monitor on and off works seems to work around the problem. So only a change to the monitor is likely to resolve the issue. However, I've never heard of a BIOS upgrade for a monitor (they don't have any means to load new code).

And forget about monitor drivers. What Dell calls "drivers" are color profiles for color correction.

Masi_GC

16 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 23:00

Well I got a new graphics card and the issue persists. I also disabled DDC on the monitor settings. I set screen res to 1600*900 and restarted PC. Text is blurry and when i power on/off the monitor the text is perfect. Monitor shows a res of eg 1400*900 when the PC screen res settings say 1600*900. Surely Dell should be testing this?????????????????????? I even tried setting resolution in the registry to 1600*900 but no joy. Is there a way of getting the monitor driver/software to kick in earlier or something on start up. DELL CAN YOU RESPOND?

16 Posts

November 24th, 2009 00:00

Below is the set up information associated with the monitor driver. Can anything be tweaked here guys? Ma monitor res is 1600*900 so can't see where the conflict is?

;================================ 

;IN2010N.INF 12/03/08 Ver. 2.0

;Copyright 1996-2009 Dell Inc.

;

;This is a setupfile for IN2010N

;

;================================

;

;------------------------------------------------

[Version]

signature="$CHICAGO$"

Class=Monitor

ClassGuid={4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Provider=%Dell%

CatalogFile=IN2010N.cat

DriverVer=12/03/2008, 1.0  

;-------------------------------------------------

[ClassInstall32]

AddReg=ClassAddReg32

[ClassAddReg32]

HKR,,,,%MonitorClassName%

HKR,,Icon,,"-1"

HKR,,NoInstallClass,,1

[DestinationDirs]

DefaultDestDir = 11

IN2010N_Analog.CopyFiles = 23

[SourceDisksNames]

1="Dell Monitor installtion disk",,,

[SourceDisksFiles]

IN2010N.icm=1

[Manufacturer]

%DELL%=DELL,NTx86,NTAMD64 

[DELL]  

%IN2010N_Analog%=IN2010N_Analog.Install, Monitor\DELA049

[DELL.NTx86]

[DELL.NTAMD64]  

[ControlFlags]

ExcludeFromSelect.nt=Monitor\DELA049

[IN2010N_Analog.Install]

DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG    

AddReg=IN2010N_Analog.AddReg, 1600, DPMS

CopyFiles=IN2010N_Analog.CopyFiles

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]

HKR,MODES

HKR,,MaxResolution

HKR,,DPMS

HKR,,ICMProfile

[1600]

HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1600,900"

[DPMS]

HKR,,DPMS,,1

[IN2010N_Analog.AddReg]

HKR,"MODES\1600,900",Mode1,,"30.0-83.0,56.0-76.0,+,-"

HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"IN2010N.icm"

[IN2010N_Analog.CopyFiles]

IN2010N.icm

[Strings]

MonitorClassName="Monitor"

Dell="Dell Inc."

IN2010N_Analog="Dell IN2010N(Analog)"

10 Posts

November 28th, 2009 11:00

Same issue here - is this fixable or do I send the monitor back?

10 Posts

November 28th, 2009 15:00

I've set up a batch file to run on start-up as a temporary 'fix'.  It changes the resolution, then changes it back again (actually just changes to 16 bit and back) but this forces the screen to refresh at the right resolution.  It makes use of "Multires".  Obviously not an ideal solution as it only applies after start-up but at least it saves having to manually switch the monitor on and off each time.

Seems like this is a common problem:  http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=+site:en.community.dell.com+in2010n+resolution&ei=5rcRS6TSIpOt4QbX2cXyBw&sa=X&oi=forum_cluster&resnum=1&ct=more-results&ved=0CAoQrQIwAA

Surprised Dell has said nothing about it! The collection of queries point towards it being common hardware fault.

6 Posts

November 29th, 2009 03:00

That batch file sounds like a reasonable workaround, since the problem really only occurs on startup anyway.   Could you please share the contents of the batch file, I'm not familiar with the command line way to adjust resolution.

Simon 

10 Posts

November 29th, 2009 04:00

Details here: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/multires.shtm

I'm currently switching to 1600*900 @16 bit and back again one after the other.  This was to attempt to avoid corruption of icon/gadget locations (they seem to not retain positions well).  I have had one instance though where gadgets have aligned along the side of an 'imaginary' 1440 with monitor on the right side of the screen after the bat has run, so it's not foolproof.

I've put the .bat in the 'All Users' start-up file.

On a separate note, whilst playing with the monitor settings I noticed that if the monitor brightness/gamma was set lowish and then you opened up a file that triggered UAC (and subsequent dimming of the monitor screen in Win7), if you then switched the monitor off and on it would come back at 1440*900 (i.e. the wrong resolution).  This was even if it was at 1600*900 before this action.  The dimming of the screen itself didn't trigger the change in detected resolution though- it was only when switching it on and off.  After resetting the monitor to factory default and changing the calibration, I haven't gone through the loop to try to replicate this, but now this behaviour no longer occurs.

There seems to be something at fault with the monitor where it's detecting the resolution at certain points as being somewhere between 1440 width and 1600.  Is it doing a best guess and assuming it's one or the other depending on how close it thinks it is to either?  A significant change in perceived resolution is detected by the monitor, but minor changes aren't picked up without turning the monitor on and off again (evidenced by the start-up scenario, and my dimmed monitor scenario above).

Final point - these issues occur with the monitor plugged into the desktop (Intel 3100) and my laptop (Radeon 4000 series), so appears to be just a monitor problem.  The monitor is also shown detected/listed as a CRT in the Intel graphics settings - does this have any effect?

16 Posts

November 29th, 2009 05:00

Same problem. If i set PC res to 1600x900 and restart the PC then the monitor res states 1440x900. If i switch on/off monitor the res goes to a sharp 1600x900. Should be a function to turn off Auto Adjust on Monitor but there is not. Again Dell havent bothered to test the monitor. Speaking of which, they havent bothered to respond to the thread either. Nice work Dell

16 Posts

November 30th, 2009 09:00

Possible fix. Load up windows and uninstall display adapter for your graphics card under Device Manager. Restart windows and reinstall the Display Adapter that came with your graphics card. Restart Windows again and see if screen res is ok. I stumbled across this fix after reinstalling XP Pro. I installed XP Pro with default screen res settings suggested by the Windows install process and then installed the graphics card software. I restarted PC and everything opened in 1600x900. Text is crisp and seems fine now.

Good luck

Update: Spoke too soon. Same problem is back

10 Posts

December 6th, 2009 05:00

Has this fix persisted?  I haven't tried it myself as the monitor is now packed up ready to be returned and replaced with a different model.  I did try various age drivers in troubleshooting and nothing seemed to fix the issue (the fact it doesn't work with different graphics cards on different PCs demonstrates that even if a certain driver bodge can mask the situation, the monitor is still at fault).

No Events found!