Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2013 10:00

Dell Vostro 430 - Already Upgraded, Considering Upgrading GPU to Asus GeForce GTX 650

So, here's my problem. I don't have the cash right now to buy a whole new system and I believe my Vostro 430 still has a little bit of life left in it. It's the i7 version, so the CPU is pretty good. The GPU has also been upgraded to a GTX 460 SE, which works, but does have some problems which I still believe is NVIDIA's fault since many others have reported the same thing. Most of the time, nothing appears in the NVIDIA control panel pretty much removing the best features of my 22" Samsung 3D monitors. Despite waiting a couple of years testing various new driver updates, nothing. Done complete reformats and nothing changes.

Back to the point however. I'm hopeful that changing to the GTX 650 will alleviate this annoying problem, with the added bonus of allowing four monitor connections and a slight graphics boost. My Vostro 430 also has a 16GB RAM upgrade, in addition to a Corsair 430W PSU, a couple of 2TB (using RAID) HDDs and a 128GB SSD. Here's the problem though. This GTX 650 seems nice for airflow. It adds length, however. I'm probably going to need to manually measure this. I recall the GTX 460 taking up a lot of length inside the case, but it only has one fan so it probably is fairly less than the 650's 8.39" length. I'd really appreciate a good answer but I will soon get my tape measure and see if I can figure this out myself if nobody knows, but kudos to anybody who can help.

1.5K Posts

July 14th, 2013 17:00

The GTX 650 is not a long card and will fit almost any Dell mini tower such as the Vostro 430.  Most take up to a 10" long card and sometimes more.  However, if you have a 2nd hard drive as mentioned, then you could have an issue and should take a measurement.  

It won't be much of a performance improvement if any over the GTX 460 SE though.  I have only seen the GTX 650 with one fan unless you are talking about the "Ti" version.  If you mean the GTX 650 Ti, then it will give you better performance over what you have especially the SE version.  If it won't fit, the EVGA card is only 6" long and will give you a lot more room.  It's not going to be necessary to have dual fans on a GTX 650 Ti.  

No Events found!