Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2004 16:00

Dimension 2100,boot error, trys to boot from A

I am working on a Dell dimension 2100 computer that had a failing hard drive in it,It originaly came up with a BSOD saying UNMOUNTABLE_VOLUME, but we were able to fix that, however it came back after a reboot, leading us to beleive that the drive was failing. Using norton ghost we ghosted the contents of the drive onto a brand new 80Gig drive and tried to boot from that, however it always says "Invalad System disk" "insert disk into drive A" on boot, even when the A drive is turned off in the BIOS as well as Physicly taken out of the computer. I ran the Dell 32bit daignostics from this site (on 5 floppys no less) and it found that the only thing "wrong" with the computer was that the 'secconds' regester in the Real Time Clock was updating too slow, this would lead to bad time keeping but should not prevent booting. We checked the dell Diagnostic lights on the back and they show up like this

0 0 0 X
A B C D 0=Green X=Yellow

according to the documentation, the description for this pattern is "other", which doesnt really help much. all of this leads to the conclusion that something is wrong, but I dont know quite what it is....
I hope someone here has some insite..

we used norton ghost 9 to ghost it to a file (albeit a BIG file) on our test computer built for that purpouse, from there we ghosted that file onto a brand-new-out-of-the-box 80gig drive

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

How did you ghost - did you put the drive in another system, and if you did, did you ever boot it when it was attached as a slave?

December 22nd, 2004 20:00

I did do just that before, and that was what got rid of the BSOD....
and I think that even if the drive was ghosted as a slave, (which it might have been now that you mention it, Im gonna check) It should still come up with a OS NOT FOUND message...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 22nd, 2004 20:00

Make sure you DID NOT boot the ghosted drive as a slave. That will render it non-bootable. If you did, you need to repeat the ghost, and don't boot it as slave.

You might try booting an XP CD to a recovery console, and typing
fixboot, then
fixmbr

See if that restores the boot sector.

December 23rd, 2004 21:00

I fixed it. It was indeed as you said, the ghost was not set to active....so I re ghosted the drive as a primary. I then booted and got the same BSOD

*sigh* it ghosted the errors too

but I now know what to do with it, so I concider this problem to be solved thanks
No Events found!