Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2011 02:00

Dimension 5100, replace graphic card

Hi everybody,

I have to change my graphic card on my dimension 5100, so I've buy a Sapphire HD 4550 for that.

I've uninstalling all old drivers before mounting the new graphic card. But when i boot up my computer there is nothing on my screen and i don't understand why. So for waiting i'm keeping my old card and for help.

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 8th, 2011 05:00

The Primary Video setup in the BIOS (F2 Setup) needs to be set to "Auto" so it will detect the new PCIeX16 Video Card.  Since you have a separate video card that should already be set, but doublecheck.  Otherwise if it works with the old card and not the new, it sounds like the new card is defective.   Your power supply should be adequate for the new card.

3 Posts

February 8th, 2011 06:00

Thanks to respond fireberd.

The primary video setup settings is already set to auto. The "defaults" graphic card" of my dimension 5100 is a GeForce 6800Gs and not an integrated card. So pci-e slot was already use and the primary video setup have always set to auto.

I'll check the power supply soon and test my new video card tonight on at home.

1.7K Posts

February 8th, 2011 08:00

You do realize that you have not really gained much performance wise going from a 6800 GS to the HD 4550 except for newer technology.  When changing over from an Nvidia card to an ATI card, I would use Driver Sweeper to clean out any remaining files that just uninstalling did not do.   Do you have the latest Bios version installed?  

3 Posts

February 9th, 2011 00:00

Yes JMICHAEL, i realize that performance will not be better, but I want to change the card because the integrated fan is dead and temperature card start to be hot.

Thanks for driver sweeper, i don't know this soft, i will see it.

1.7K Posts

February 9th, 2011 06:00

This may help HERE.  

No Events found!