Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2011 09:00

Floppy Diskette seek Failure/CMOS checksum error on Dell Optiplex GX520

The following reported problem concerns a Dell Optiplex GX520, mini tower.

As being a satisfied user of this computer, I decided to upgrade my machine with (brand new) 2 GB of RAM and a new HD. After the upgrade, when booting, the computer beeps twices and gives the following error message:
"Floppy Diskette seek Failure Strike F1 key to continue or F2 to run the setup utility". When I look in the BIOS maintenance log list, the message stated: 'CMOS checksum error'. After F1 (Continue), the computer functions normally.

I have tried many thing:

(1) I have removed the CMOS battery over night to surely reset the CMOS/BIOS settings. Then, changed the Boot list, to first CD and second Sata-0. Subsequently unchecked the floppy and disabled the floppy in corresponding BIOS-item. After every restart of the computer, the floppy is spontaneously (re)set to 'internal' again. The other settings are not reset.

(2) Ran the complete 'Dell ResourceCD' Hardware Test set successfully (no errors found). Thus RAM is OK, and HD is OK.

(3) After updating the BIOS to version A11, the problem still exists.

(4) Then I bought, second hand, a 'fresh Optiplex GX520 system'. Installed the newly bought RAM and HD. And the new computer failed as well.

(5) In an attempt to detect the problem, I reinstalled the old RAM and old HD. However, problem persists.

Does anyone has a solution/suggestion?

many thanks in advance.

Kees

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 30th, 2011 11:00

Hi Kees,

The CMOS checksum error as well as your symptoms indicate a dead battery. Did you try replacing it?

January 30th, 2011 13:00

thanx for replying.

Oh, yes. Forgot to tell. CMOS battery voltage is 3.04V.  So, this couldn't be the cause.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 30th, 2011 16:00

Then you are exiting the BIOS without saving your settings.

January 31st, 2011 00:00

Hi Osprey,

No, unfortunately, it is not so easy. I always choose 'save/exit'. All other settings were stored correctly.

thnx,

Kees.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 31st, 2011 05:00

That's pretty strange. If you revert to the old RAM, does the problem resolve itself?

January 31st, 2011 08:00

That's one thing I did. And no the problem did not resolve itself.
Somebody told therefore, the Motherboard had broken down. That's why I bought a 'new' one, but exactly the same troubles.

I'm pretty out of idea's...

322 Posts

January 31st, 2011 09:00

Hello Kees_de_kapper

I don't mean to intrude, but you didn't say if you have a floppy drive

or that you turned it off if not in the bios.

I had to turn off floppy drive to stop my computer from doing this.

Just a though.

Tom

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 31st, 2011 11:00

Are you saying you replaced the motherboard and still have the same checksum problem ? That would be pretty strange -unless that error is a common problem for this model.

Before you removed the motherboard battery, was the tower unplugged from the wall?

Did you press/hold power button on the tower for ~15 sec after unplugging from the wall?

Did you press/hold power button for ~30 sec after removing the battery?

Ron

February 1st, 2011 02:00

Hi guys, thanks for replying. I'm quite desperate, you know.

@Tom Green: No, I don't have a floppy drive (who does? ;-)). And I've tried to disable the floppy in the BIOS. However, after a cold start, the floppy-setting is reset to 'Internal', which I haven't. (I have saved before exiting)

@RoHe (Ron): I did not replace the Mobo, but bought an entirely new (although second hand) Optiplex GX520, which worked in original state. After upgrading with the RAM and HD, the troubles started as well for this machine. When I put back the old RAM and old HD, the problems unfortunately did not resolve itself.

When I removed the battery, it was unplugged for 10h. I did not press the powerbutton for 15 or 30 seconds. I will try this at home.

I'm convinced that changing the RAM did cause the troubles. However, I don't understand, that the Dell's Diagnostics CD does not find any problems (no mobo or memory problems). Furthermore, the computer works without any complications after booting.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 1st, 2011 09:00

The default BIOS setting for the floppy drive is ON, so if BIOS isn't holding the change to OFF, maybe it's just a dead motherboard battery.

Have you tried replacing the battery? It's a CR2032 3-volt lithium ion battery, about $2-$3 at discount stores.

Ron

February 1st, 2011 12:00

Osprey suggested that as well. However, I checked the voltage and it was 3.04 V. Should be enough. All other settings were stored/saved correctly.

It is sooooo strange…..

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 1st, 2011 19:00

Yes, but are all your other BIOS settings the default settings so the battery doesn't matter for them?

And no offense, but is the battery installed right-side-up?

You might want to clean the battery and the socket (GENTLY!) with a lint-free cloth to make sure there's no crud preventing it from making good contact with the motherboard.

And if a $3 replacement battery solves the problem, wouldn't that be worth all the aggrevation you're having? :emotion-7:

Ron

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2011 05:00

I agree. For a few dollars, you would rule out the battery as a problem.

February 19th, 2011 03:00

Due to busyness I wasn't able to buy a new battery. Did it today. Unfortunately, it didn't help.

New suggestions? Are there any other diagnostic tools that I can use except for the 3-4 year old Utils-CD from Dell?

Thanx in advance!

Desperate Kees

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 19th, 2011 10:00

You've had so many variations to this system that I'm confused if you're testing with the new or old RAM and new or old hard drive.

I would suggest you put it back the way it was the last it worked correctly. Then remove the new motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery and see if you can get it to boot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard.

Ron

No Events found!