Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2013 01:00

HDMI to VGA adapter cable won't fit HDMI port

I have replaced my 9 year old Dell desktop with a new Dell Inspiron 660S.  I am trying to setup my dual monitors.  I have the main monitor connected to the VGA port.  I'm trying to connect the second monitor via a HDMI to VGA Adapter cable to the HDMI port.  The monitor attached to the VGA end of the adapter cable with no problem.  But I cannot get the HDMI end to connect to the computer.  The cable HDMI looks like the female version and the HDMI port on the computer looks like the male version.  But I cannot get the cable to "plug" in at all.  I've tried putting it in and then reversing it and still it doesn't fit.  The port and the cable look pretty much the same (one being male and one being female).

Is there a difference between a HDMI to VGA adapter cable and a VGA to HDMI adapter cable?  Would the HDMI end be different?  I haven't seen anything that indicates that but I have seen them referred to as both HDMI to VGA and VGA to HDMI.  Is there more than one type of HDMI connector or port?

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?  I cannot function with only one monitor.

Thank you!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 19th, 2013 02:00

Hi CaniacKak,

The HDMI to VGA converter you have bought is a female version you will need a male HDMI to VGA converter for connecting the second monitor. Please get me the snapshot of the second monitor port and the HDMI port on the computer so that I can suggest you the correct cable/converter.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 19th, 2013 10:00

VGA = Analog

HDMI = Digital

There is no such conversion that is a passive cable.

www.meritline.com/hdmi-to-vga-audio-hdtv-video-converter-adapter---p-77485.aspx

3 Posts

July 20th, 2013 08:00

Thanks DELL-Ravi Ch, I will need to find my handy-dandy camera and get it charged.  I'm sure it is around here somewhere.  Obviously I don't use it very often.

3 Posts

July 20th, 2013 08:00

SpeedStep, thank you for your response.  

I'm not sure what you mean by "passive" cable, but I have looked at the link and I see where the monitor cable would connect and I see the HDMI port.  What I don't see is the cable that goes from that HDMI port to the computer.   I would like to make sure that I get the correct cable I need when I order the cable adapter.  Could you please "show" me what I would need for this final connection?  (I'm getting confused with this male/female thing!)

Thank you and I apologize for being such a rookie.

6.4K Posts

July 20th, 2013 16:00

Sorry, but this is more than a "male/female thing".  HDMI uses a digital signal as opposed to the analog signal used with VGA.  See if this page from "How Stuff Works" helps:  "What is the difference between analog and digital technology?"

1 Message

August 18th, 2013 23:00

Hi, I have a dell L501x.
And i'm trying to connect it to an external monitor/projector.
I have bought a HDMI-VGA cable for the same.
Yet, the monitor does not show anything, and the message comes on the monitor "Check Video Cable".
What should I do? 

No Events found!