Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

October 28th, 2006 04:00

HELP!!! Optiplex 745 video problem, Black Screen

Hi all,

I'm having a major problem at work. We just got the Optiplex 745's with the ATI Radeon X1300Pro with dual support and every time I turn the computer on I get a black screen. I've tried everything I could think of, booted in safe mode fine and uninstalled the drivers hoping that the system would re-install them after reboot. NOPE, nothing!! Did a system restore from the previous day when it worked and everything loads however when I restart I get the same black screen. Made sure the video was set to automatic in the bios. Any suggestions, any advice would be much appreciated!

1 Message

October 28th, 2006 05:00

I too am having a major problem with ATI Video card that came with Optiplex 745 I just purchased. After installing the video drivers on the Resource CD,I turn the computer on I get a black screen. Reformatted the hard drive and then reinstalled the video drivers again. This this no black screen but instead get error message "cli.exe" and "ucc.exe." Dell tech can't seem to resolve this problem. Trying to contact ATI themselves or request a replacement card.

The unit should just be working properly for a new computer but instead you have problems that seem to last hours to resolve if you can get it resolved.

I am not sure is that reputable anymore.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 29th, 2006 18:00

cli.exe is installed alongside ATI's range of graphics cards with the Catalyst hardware driver range. Installs a easy-to-access taskbar icon for access to diagnostics features.

UCC.exe is the command line UnrealTournament launcher

Dell is not supporting games and installing software and then installing other software then trying to revert after it tastes bad.

Clean reinstall is required after messing up a machine in this way.

October 29th, 2006 22:00

Great but what about providing support for ppl who are not installing games? These computers are for a business and I have had problems with both the Desktop and small form factor versions of this computer :(

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 30th, 2006 01:00

If you got the cards from dell and they were factory installed then you get support from dell. However once you delete the dell factory install you are on your own.

If you have issues with software you should make a clone of the dell as it comes from the factory so that you can restore back to original.

If you dont want to do that then dont buy Optiplex and Latitudes. Buy Dimension and Inspiron with symanted F11 Factory restore images.

October 30th, 2006 02:00

Well I have not deleted anything. We have Gold Tech Support on these computers and I have chatted with a tech earlier in the week, went through all of the steps and the best I could get was it might be a driver issue? I came here hoping to get some advice on a possible solution. I've tried system Restore and it works until I restart the freakin' pc then it's back to black. Buying another type of pc would be easy if I had the power to do so but since I don't I'm stuck with this stupid machine.

1 Message

November 7th, 2006 17:00

You are certainly NOT the only person with the same problem with a BRAND NEW Optiplex 745 and the blank screen. Of the 6 we ordered, we've setup 3 of them and 2 have this problem.

Out of the box they work
We setup our software (MS Office, Antivirus, etc.)
Load Windows Updates
Everything work with VGA adapter
Go to install on user desk with DVI connected and poof blank screen
(Not convinced of the connection to the DVI connector, but that just the procedure we used)
Now blank screen with DVI connector
blank screen with VGA adapter
blank screen with on-board Video
All three options do work in Safe-Mode

Some things that have worked...
Installed the updated Chipset from Dell's web site = Worked ONCE, then reboot = blank screen
Afterward chipset update on-board video works consistently, but not ATI 1300Pro card

Set Windows Defender Service to disabled = Worked ONCE, then reboot = blank screen

Uninstalled Windows Defender = Worked ONCE, then reboot = blank screen

Dell Tech support suggestion = Format and start over

NOTE: celticperson you need to install .NET framework before installing the ATI drivers if you haven't figured that out yet.

2.4K Posts

November 9th, 2006 12:00

@speedstep wrote:
If you got the cards from dell and they were factory installed then you get support from dell. However once you delete the dell factory install you are on your own.

If you have issues with software you should make a clone of the dell as it comes from the factory so that you can restore back to original.

If you dont want to do that then dont buy Optiplex and Latitudes. Buy Dimension and Inspiron with symanted F11 Factory restore images.

how nice, a platinum user posting FALSE information!

November 24th, 2006 01:00

Hello.

Anther person with the same problem here!! PLEASE pose when you find a resolution--I removed the extra video card, and then did a repair install of Windows.  It's working for now, but time will tell...

1 Message

December 13th, 2006 16:00

I am having the same issue with a Dell OptiPlex 745 Small Form Factor. The computer is setup to use an add-on ATI Radeon x1300 DVI video card. It seems to happen when the machine has been turned off for a while so it is starting from a cold boot. When powered on everything comes up normally and the user can login and begin working; about 5 to 10 minutes later the screen goes black. The computer is still on and the monitor is on (with an amber light) and the cables are secure. Mouse movement or keyboard strokes do nothing to "wake-up" the video. Cycling through the video channels also does not bring the screen back. You must hard shutdown the computer and then restart. After that, the machine works fine for the rest of the day. If the computer is turned off overnight the same thing occurs the next day. If you shut down for only an one or two it also happens. I already updated the Bios, Chipset, and Video drivers and the problem persists. I finally pulled the card this morning and set the user up to use the on-board VGA port. I contacted Dell via telephone and they told me that this model did ship with a defective factory install which could cause such issues but I loaded the machine from scratch....

January 23rd, 2007 09:00

This is almost certainly a problem related to Symantec Antivirus.
Symantec has a patch that fixes the problem. Another way of fixing it is this:

1. Disconnect Optical SATA drive or disable in BIOS.
2. Start Windows in Normal mode.
3. Start Symantec Antivirus
4. Click Configure -> Filesystem Auto-Protect
5. Advanced
6. In the Startup options section, click Symantec AntiVirus start and OK.
7. Shutdown
8. Reconnect Opticaldrive or Enable in BIOS.
9. Finished

/Johnny

1 Message

February 6th, 2007 18:00

I want to share my experience with this issue:

I too can reboot this PC and during the boot up process I see the post and the windows startup screen.  After those screens the display stays blank but the power light on the
monitor stays green like it is recieving a signal but no picture is
presented on the monitor. I have memorized the key strokes to do a
shutdown. If I do those the computer shutsdown just like it should. I
see the hard drive ligh flashing and when it is complete all the lights
on the tower turn off the the monitor power light goes orange. I
belive that the PC is actually running during the blank screen phase
there is just no visual representation of windows xp.

I Called Dell and they said to disable the SATA DVD drive. That seemed
to work but of course I cannot leave it that way. They also suggested
to install a symantec upgrade at http://tinyurl.com/yckf2z. This seems
like grasping at straws but I want to ensure all they suggest is done.
I rebooted several times and it seems to be working. This is not the
first time I have left the site when it looked like all was going to
work.

A note from a litte later
We have a new Dell Optiplex to replace the one that had the issues.  Guess what.  It does the same thing.  Here is what we have done.
1. Check BIOS for latest update (2.0.8) Same issue.
2. I have tried the symantec startup change.  Same issue
3. Disabled optical drive. Fixed but cannot leave it like this.
4. install the symantec fix listed in above paragraph and re-enabled optical drive.  That seemed to have worked for me. 

I will leave it like this as a test.

Message Edited by tymelero on 02-06-2007 02:59 PM

59 Posts

July 3rd, 2007 23:00

Well, we have the same issue with 3 745's and we don't use Symantec AV.  I guess I'll try disabling the dvd drive but that's obviously not a real solution.

1 Message

March 18th, 2008 12:00

You might want to check the ATI card. I've had sever 620 and 745 machines that have had the ATI card (x1300pro from Dell) go bad. They have done anything from rebooting during use, to a contiunuous reboot cycle. I took the card out and the machines were fine.

59 Posts

March 19th, 2008 00:00

I had totally forgotten about this, that was a while ago. The problem seems to have gone away, I didn't do anything so I'm suspecting a video driver update fixed ours.
No Events found!