Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2009 22:00

Heat problems?

Is anyone aware of any heat related problems that would keep a computer from booting to Windows?

This is for a Dell Dimension 4700 Desktop running Win XP Home, w/ a P4 2.8 ghz and 512 mb ram.

When you turn on the computer it goes straight to the Advanced Start up Options. If you select either normal or safe mode, it starts the scrolling Win XP startup marque then promply goes to the blue screen with white text.  It also will not boot into safemode with command prompt.

It states that 'a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer'. It advises to check for adequate disk space, states if any drivers are identified in the stop message (none identified) to try driver updates. It also says to try changing the video adaptors. It advises to check for bios updates or to start in safe mode and to disable BIOS memory options like cashing or shadowing. It also says to enter safemode (which it won't) to disable any necessary components.

The last line is Technical information:
****Stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x8068EE99, 0xF895B4CC, 0xF895B1C8)

Another little note, I had a diagnostic CD in the unit for a bit of time.  The drive is located at the top of the case.  When I removed the CD, it appeared to be quite a bit warmer than I have ever sensed a disc before. 

2 Posts

Check the heatsink fan on the processor, listen if it is running maybe a easy start. 2 of my office machine PC had this problem last year when the fan melted and stopped.

11 Posts

I will check all fans.  The box does seem to be very quiet.

No Events found!