Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2006 02:00

How can I determine the DELL model when I don't have a service tag or S/N?

I am trying to determine the correct model so I can pull down the sound drivers to enable the embedded sound ports. The system is a tower and all black with a sliding panel on the front that covers up access to the floppy drive and two USB ports. Here is the information that was spit out by the Belarc Advisor utility:

Operating System System Model Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 1 (build 3790)

System Model Intel Corporation

Processor 2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board Board: Intel Corporation D845GVSR AAC45439-303
Serial Number: AZSR52207190
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. VA84510A.86A.0052.P19.0503162333 03/16/2005

Thanks,

Jim

4.8K Posts

max713,

1.  You can try using the Windows System Information tool.

2.  Check in system setup for either service tag information or system model information. 

3.  Look on the back of the system for a white sticker with a bar code and 7 characters. 

4.  Look on the side of the system for a black sticker with the Express Service Code.  You will also find the system service tag information on that sticker.

If you are the original purchaser of this system, check the documentation that came with it.  If you purchased it from someone else, ask them for the original documentation.

Steve

8 Posts

The system was given to me and I threw in a hard drive and a gig of memory and built it as a server; therefore, the OS knows nothing about what model this is. It had no sticker on the back nor the bottom. The only sticker on the side is the one with the Microsoft XP Home Edition product key along with a couple of bar code numbers, but I don't think these are service tags because I tried keying them into the DELL site and it came back with unknown or invalid number. It has a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 processor so it can't be too old. Any thoughts?

Thanks

244 Posts

July 8th, 2006 06:00

Try going into the BIOS . Dell usually has the model information & service tag  in the header. Here's an example of the D8300 BIOS:

< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Message Edited by jrwou1 on 07-08-200602:27 AM

Message Edited by jrwou1 on 07-08-200602:28 AM

8 Posts

July 8th, 2006 07:00

Thanks, but I tried this and the BIOS has nothing, the operating system has nothing and I have no stickers with numbers. I'm sure if DELL monitored these forums, they could give me an answer based on the physical description that I gave.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 8th, 2006 10:00

How about the configuration? Ok, it's got an Intel D845GVSR motherboard. Is this a tower or desktop? What color? How many 5.25" bays? It's got integrated graphics but does it have an AGP slot? Integrated sound? How many PCI slots?

If nothing else, you could go through the online manuals and find the one that matches this system's description.

12.1K Posts

July 8th, 2006 12:00

By chance, did you just look at the front of the case, and the power button to see what it says  ?  IE : Dim 4400 / 8200 / 4300 and so on 

18.8K Posts

July 8th, 2006 15:00

I attempted to help in this investigation when it originally started. The description "The system is a tower and all black with a sliding panel on the front that covers up access to the floppy drive and two USB ports" would indicate that it was made around 2001 (I believe that is when Dell started making systems with the black case). The sliding panel that covers access to the floppy drive confused me, and I don't believe any of the black Dimension systems had such a panel.

244 Posts

July 8th, 2006 17:00

Are you sure its a Dell? Is the Dell logo anywhere on the case?

326 Posts

July 8th, 2006 21:00

You have an Intel Motherboard

Go to this link:

Intel Mobo Link

Your onboard Audio is a Realtek AC97

This link for drivers (xp listed, but should work with Server 2003)

Realtek audio driver

hope this helps out

8 Posts

July 8th, 2006 23:00

Thank you for all of your excellent suggestions, support and assistance. After reading suggestions by jrwou1 and SR45, it appears that even though this system has a DELL sticker on the side and the monitor, mouse and keyboard are DELL components, it is not a DELL computer. I looked for any type of markings on the case for DELL, but came up with nothing. I apologize to anyone if they feel their time was wasted, but I definitely appreciate everyone's efforts. The final posting from 85rx-7se has actually resolved my issue with the location of the necessary drivers for my system board components such as sound, video and USB ports.

Thanks again to everyone,
Jim

244 Posts

July 9th, 2006 02:00

Glad to have been of some help. :smileyhappy:

46 Posts

October 26th, 2010 21:00

Hi:

On any Dell computer the Service Tag is flashed to the bios.  So on start hit F2 to enter the bios.  You will be the service tag under information  [seven characters numbers and letters] and the Express Service Code.  You need either one whenever you call Dell support.  Either will give the Dell tech information on your computer and on you, address etc. so parts if needed for example will get to you.  Be sure to let the Dell tech check and correct any information on your case.  If you don't you may find the hard drive does not get to your address or the wrong Email means you can't track the part etc.   Do be patient and make sure the information is correct and this could save you much frustration.  The Express Service Code also routes your phone call to the correct tech area.  

Rohn

46 Posts

October 26th, 2010 21:00

Hit F2 ad under information in the bios you'll find the tag and Express Service Code.  You can enter this in Support.Dell.com to find your system parts etc...

46 Posts

October 26th, 2010 22:00

Oh yes..but you read it and it is an old but never ending question...so a reminder is not a waste...too bad though really old posts were not expired off the forums after say sixty or so days...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 26th, 2010 22:00

Oh yes..but you read it and it is an old but never ending question...so a reminder is not a waste...too bad though really old posts were not expired off the forums after say sixty or so days...

Me too, I wished that Dell would lock any thread older than one/two years, this have been requested, but so far nothing has been done.  :emotion-40:

Bev.

No Events found!