Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2008 08:00

How to "erase" a hard drive?

I have an old Dell Dimension PC that runs on Windows that I want to donate or give away, as I recently upgraded to an Inspiron.  I have heard that even though you delete things and send to recycle bin, that it never really "goes away".  How do I clean out the hard drive so that none of my personal information can be found?

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

November 14th, 2008 09:00

Only companies will have the equipment to scrub an HD. What I would do is to take out the HD, and ask them to put in their own HD. This will mean that they will have to a clean install, but it will protect your private data.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 14th, 2008 11:00

suzycat1

I've found Darik's Boot and Nuke, very effective for erasing all the data from a hard drive.

It's a funny name, but a good product.

Bev.

950 Posts

November 16th, 2008 14:00

Also Killdisk and Eraser work well.

799 Posts

November 17th, 2008 10:00

Hello suzycat1, I would suggest following other member's suggestions..

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 17th, 2008 10:00

suzycat1

Nothing should happen to the system you download it to, providing the progam is saved to 'My Documents' or desktop and then burnt to a CD or a USB flash drive.

Bev.

6.4K Posts

November 21st, 2008 14:00

If I might make a suggestion, you could try this.

1.  Use Windows Explorer to find your data and delete it

2.  When your data has been deleted, empty the recycle bin

3.  Go to My Computer, right click on your C: drive, choose Properties, and Tools.  Choose Chkdsk.  Make sure that the option to fix file system errors is marked.  This should give you a message that Chkdsk will run when you restart the computer, so restart to run it.

4.  When Chkdsk has finished and you have your desktop back, go back to My Computer, right click on the C: drive again, Properties, and Tools.  This time choose to run Defrag.  This will take a while so let it run while you are watching TV or something.

When Defrag has finished you will have eliminated the fragmented files, and in the process of performing the defragmentation, you will have overwritten your old deleted data several times.  This will prevent anyone using common commercially available tools from accessing your data.

If you are still worried, Shesagordie mentioned an excellent disk eraser.

19 Posts

November 21st, 2008 19:00

You could also try drivescrubber from iolo.com.  It really works.

93 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 10:00

Formatting (even a full format), re-partitioning, defragging, restoring from an image file and other suggestions here will do little to stop someone determined to get at your old data.  I am constantly called in to do just that for people who have mistakenly done all of these things to their hard drives and can normally recover most, if not all of their data.  To thoroughly erase a drive would take the use of some of the programs mentioned here such as DBAN.  The program you download will create either a bootable CD or disk that you boot to and wipe the drive.  It will NOT affect the drive it is downloaded to. 

And don't be misled by some of the programs that offer secure erase from within a Windows environment.  Unless you boot to a separate disk you can not do an actual secure erase.

93 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 11:00

Han, with all due respect, I would expect that a large majority of people will have at least some Banking and/or Credit Card information on their computer.  With that in mind it is unconsionable to recommend a less than thorough method of erasing a hard drive.  Considering that the additional work involved would be minor at best and wouldn't incur any additonal cost to the person why would they not go the full route of securely erasing the drive with DBAN (or one of the other programs).  The risk is simply too great.  Using your method I stand a 95% chance of recovering Banking, Credit, or other personal information without working that hard from that hard drive.  Just download DBAN, create the disk, and let it run overnight.  If that is too much work then your priorities are flawed. 

The bottom line is this.  Anyone who isn't willing to follow tried and PROVEN techniques for securely erasing a hard drive are just asking for trouble and deserve to get their information recovered and used against them. 

4.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2008 11:00

Just download/use the free version of Active@ Kill Disk :emotion-5:

4.6K Posts

November 26th, 2008 12:00

I have an old Dell Dimension PC that runs on Windows that I want to donate or give away, as I recently upgraded to an Inspiron.  I have heard that even though you delete things and send to recycle bin, that it never really "goes away".  How do I clean out the hard drive so that none of my personal information can be found?

Use the program I suggested/provided a link to in an earlier post (Active@ Kill Disk).

Another good low-level formatting program is DBAN (Google it). 

One particularly good feature about DBAN, is that it doesn't need to be run from a floppy disk.  It can be run from CD, DVD, or even a USB drive :emotion-11: :emotion-5:

8 Posts

November 17th, 2008 05:00

I went to the site that you linked me to.  I see that I can download it.  The PC that I want to erase the hard drive can't currently be hooked up to the internet.  Can I download it onto a CD on my new computer and then use it in the old computer?  If yes, will anything happen to my new computer when I download it?

Thanks!

650 Posts

November 18th, 2008 08:00

Sorry all my post was deleted for violating TOS.  Not sure how, as there was nothing in it so i don't know. I even have a copy of what i posted and see nothing wrong with it. Oh well, first time for everything.

8 Posts

November 21st, 2008 13:00

To Hanspuppa:

Thanks for your suggestion.  Unfortunately, I don't understand the technical language you used.  What is a partition and a full format?  Could you please explain it on very simple terms.  Thank you so much.

799 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 10:00

Hello suzycat1, Sorry for the confusion. I seem to know nothing about removing data from hard drives. I would follow other member's suggestions..

No Events found!