Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2011 17:00

Inspiron 580 8GB Dual Channel, can do it?

Hi all,
this month is perfect for some upgrades and one of many of these upgrades are the RAM. Now I have 4GB installed, no Dual Channel, all ram slots are in use and this is a neck bottle for my system. Now I would like to buy 8GB (2x4) Ram but in dual channel. Can one slot support 4 GB ram? I hope can support it. If I can't, the Dell' s mainboard will fly out from my window :)

12 Posts

July 27th, 2011 07:00

Tell me more,

I would like to buy an Asus motherboard with the same chipset.

I will reistall all the OS from the begin and activate with the Product key  stuck on the case, I can do it?

I think I can do it anyway, or not?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

It can hold 2 GB per slot according to Crucial. You have 4 slots. They have good prices and guarantee it will work. Crucial is recommended for Dell computers.

Forgot to mention--if you don't have 64 bit windows the upgrade will be a waste of money.

12 Posts

All right can't install 8GB dual channel. No waste more money for the Ram if can't use dual channel. However, I have OS x64. Bye bye Dell' s mainboard

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 26th, 2011 18:00

If you replace the Dell board, budget for a retail copy of Windows - the original won't work if you replace the mainboard with a non-Dell board.

1.5K Posts

July 27th, 2011 14:00

You will have to buy a new case, new operating system & new motherboard.  The Dell OEM operating system will not install on a new motherboard and the Asus motherboard will not fit in the Dell case.  Obviously, this is not worth the expense if all you want to do is upgrade from 4GB to 8GB.  Just buy four 2GB modules.  

12 Posts

July 28th, 2011 07:00

Thank you :)

12 Posts

July 28th, 2011 07:00

yes, I think it before, Just buy four 2GB modules, but the with this motherboard I can't do nothing, like OC or do some RAID, I mean nothing at all.

I'm not saying that DELL is bad but there are too many restrictions in Hardware.

Thank You all for answer me!

No Events found!