Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2014 12:00

Manual for XPS 8700 Gone!

Please forgive me for the long read.  I always check for manuals before I buy a PC.  I did check yesterday (Saturday) and all the manuals were available for download for the PC I wanted to buy.  I did not download any of them as I was unsure if I was going with Dell or HP.  Today I decided to buy the Dell X8700 and placed the order.  Well dumb me went to the Dell Support site after the fact and I was going to down load the manuals and other data.  Much to my surprise they are no longer on line.

Does some have those manuals in downloadable format  that would share with me please.  I don't want to cancel my order over the lack of manuals.  Thank you very much to all.

Steve

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 12th, 2014 12:00

bb501

You can find Dell's XPS 8700 Owners Manual in PDF form, here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8700_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 12th, 2014 13:00

Hi BB501,

Google will find them as well. For whatever reason, the support site is not showing any manuals today.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 12th, 2014 13:00

John,

God bless Google. LOL

Bev.

40 Posts

January 13th, 2014 07:00

Steve, the link that shesagordie gave you is correct. I don't think any manuals come with the new p.c.'s anymore. I also  had to download the manual. Get lots of paper and ink. 86 pages worth. Should be a discount from dell, you are lucky it even came in a box and not a bubble wrap. Dell sounds like a bunch of easter peeps, cheap, cheap, cheap!

catsam

January 13th, 2014 10:00

U r absolutely right Catsam!  Few years back when I bought my Dell CPS 420 I was suitably impressed by the whole package, i.e. it came with a manual in a nice padded binder, it included all the diks i would ever need to reinstall anything and it even came with its own special Dell mousepad.   Now the XPS 8700 I rec'vd in Nov has none of that cachet so it seems Dell will hasten the death of the desktop PC by shortchanging the very buyers of them!  Even the Dell website is a poor imitation of what is used to be.  In the past, the links worked. Now, it seems a toss up on their operability.  Even the options Dell offers are incongruous with common sense, e.g. I had to buy my RAM elsewhere since Dell would only alalow me to purchase half of the stated RAM capacity of the machine.  Similar issues with their offerings on SSD, wireless keyboard & mice, etc. The company that once knew how to do it right, is now learning how to do it all wrong.   

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 13th, 2014 12:00

Steve, the link that shesagordie gave you is correct. I don't think any manuals come with the new p.c.'s anymore. I also  had to download the manual. Get lots of paper and ink. 86 pages worth. Should be a discount from dell, you are lucky it even came in a box and not a bubble wrap. Dell sounds like a bunch of easter peeps, cheap, cheap, cheap!

catsam

catsam

When I purchased a Dimension 8400 in 2005, Dell was no longer shipping hard copies of their owners manual, it was in an application on the hard drive, this very handy when/if the hard drive failed.

Bev.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 13th, 2014 13:00

The link to the manual is also available on your computer if you open My Dell tile on the Start Screen and select Support.

40 Posts

January 15th, 2014 09:00

yepper! agree, in 2002 I bought  dimension 4550 which still runs pretty good. It's not just dell, but it seems everything you buy you have to download a damn manual for whenever you have problems or questions. Hey, not everyone has a computer, or can afford long distance calls for tech support only to be put on hold. Two years ago I bought an asus laptop for my wife and had great support. Dell has really gone downhill.

catsam

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 15th, 2014 13:00

yepper! agree, in 2002 I bought  dimension 4550 which still runs pretty good. It's not just dell, but it seems everything you buy you have to download a damn manual for whenever you have problems or questions. Hey, not everyone has a computer, or can afford long distance calls for tech support only to be put on hold. Two years ago I bought an asus laptop for my wife and had great support. Dell has really gone downhill.

catsam

catsam

I cannot say that about Asus, purchased a video card with a three warranty March last year, the card failed in 10.2013, still have not have received the replacement, had to use the Oakland/Bay Area BBB, to get answers/replies from Asus.

Just Faxed Asus the completed forms I received early today, back to them [again], hopefully this sorry situation will end soon and I'll be sent the new card, but somehow I have my doubts!!!!

Bev.

40 Posts

January 20th, 2014 15:00

Wow, that really bites! Actually in reality, I'm not quite so sure that any manufacturer these days really care about anything that happens after the point of sale. They seem to feel that everything is just "throwaway" so just go out and buy a new one.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 20th, 2014 16:00

catsam

Ain't that the truth.

My saga with Asus continues, still have had no communication from them, but noticed on their website, the RMA is in progress, with no dates listed, all this is something new. :emotion-18:

Bev.

3 Posts

March 27th, 2014 18:00

Well, just ordered a new XPS 8700 and it had better come with appropriate hard copy instructions as I'm not going to use my time, paper and ink to print a multitude of pages which should be included in a book. Nine years ago a neighbor purchased a new Dimension and the screen went blank -- called Dell customer service and was told that she could look at her manual on the computer. Huh? So a few months later when I ordered the first generation 9150 XPS 400, had to call repeatedly to finally get a hand held printed manual. Hope I will not have to go through the same thing again -- BTW, also have gone through similar with a couple of other manufacturers. The irony is that when you look at the PDF offered, it is obvious that it comes from printed copy, so how much would it really cost to include the same with a customer's purchase ?!!!    

84 Posts

March 27th, 2014 19:00

Gee people are so nit picky today. I don't mind not having a printed copy of my XPS8700 manual. You can find it everywhere. Sure Dell is cutting corners but everyone does it also so what are you going to do about it? Cancel your order?

3 Posts

March 27th, 2014 21:00

Please re read my posting -- this 'cutting corners' has been going on for years now. The neighbor I referred to was in her mid-60's at the time and will have her 75th birthday tomorrow. Her computer screen was BLANK/DARK/DIDN'T COME ON and upon calling Dell, the rep suggested we could read the manual  if we would click the icon on her desktop -- hope you now undertand the irony of that situation. BTW, I am a decade behind her age wise and appreciate the fact that the manual(s) are available on PDF, but for the folks who still like to read a a bit of instruction in their hands as opposed to scanning up and down while staring at a monitor, a hard copy owner's manual would be greatly appreciated. Not everyone is computer savvy and my neighbor doesn't have a printer...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 28th, 2014 06:00

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8700_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

There are many places that will print these and even bind them but not for free. 

The push to go green has most vendors not printing any manuals or putting tiny manuals in the box.

No Events found!