Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 20th, 2017 11:00

Memory Configuration for xps 8920

I currently have an xps 8920 with 2*4 GB memory installed in the slots nr 1 and 3. I would like to upgrade to 16GB. According to the official manual it seems not being possible to install another 2*4 GB dimms to be installed in slots 2 and 4?!

However Ive seen from the forum here that someone has installed 48GB, which should not be doable by the manual, but still it has worked all fine!?

Has anyone tried to add another 2*4 to get a total of 16GB, and has it worked?

For many other computers Ive been through Ive never seen this issue to arise, having you to ”ditch” the memories, and not being able to install extra of the very same size... If I would have known this from buying the  computer I would have gone for 16GB directly....

My idea is to buy and install the original Dell 4GB modules that are recommended for the xps 8920.

Thanks!!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 5th, 2017 11:00

Glad to hear your RAM upgrade from Crucial is working.  

Now get busy with all those hobby photos...! :emotion-5:

Please mark this thread as "Answered ".

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 20th, 2017 12:00

Specs say:  Configurations supported-  8 GB, 16 GB, 24 GB, 32 and 64 GB.

Don't know why it says 16 GB = 2x8GB, with no mention of 4x4GB. Wonder if they just neglected to add that...??

Many users around here buy RAM from crucial.com. Aside from being less expensive, if they recommend modules for a specific PC model, they guarantee they'll work or they take them back.

And I've pinged my Dell tech contact for clarification....

307 Posts

November 20th, 2017 16:00

In my opinion, the memory configuration matrix in the service manual is not a complete listing of all the possible memory configurations that will work. My XPS 8910 came with a single 16GB memory module and that configuration is not in the matrix but it worked but it was single channel vs dual channel. I brought a second 16GB module from Crucial and the system works fine in dual channel.

I would buy memory from Crucial.com, it will cost less than buying from Dell..

14 Posts

November 21st, 2017 01:00

Yeah, it seem odd though...not to support 4*4.

Would appreciate if you find anything further!

Also as you both mention, buying ram from Crucial.

Could it not be an issue with the ram-latency being different between the two pairs, original Dell vs Crucial? Ive not been able to find out the latency on the original Dell-ram...

307 Posts

November 21st, 2017 03:00

You can use free programs such as CPU-Z or HWINFO32/64 to find out the latency.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 21st, 2017 10:00

My Dell tech contact says all their internal docs also only show 16 GB = 2x 8 GB for this model, but he doesn't see why 4x 4GB wouldn't work.

Latency shouldn't be an issue, even if the two sets of 2x 4GB have different specs. Crucial will guarantee they work or take them back. So if you get 2x 4 GB from Crucial, you probably should be able to return them if the system won't support 4x 4GB. And that allows you to keep using the 2x 4GB you already have, and likely save some money too.

If you're really concerned, you could get 2x 8 GB from Crucial and eBay your existing 2x 4GB to recoup some of the costs.

Post back and let us know what you do, especially if 4x 4GB works, so others will learn from your experience, and maybe we can get Dell to update the Service Manual too. :emotion-5:

14 Posts

November 21st, 2017 12:00

So, then it seems to be ”true” that 4*4 is no option...

I dont believe I will take a chance though with that option, even though I might be able to return them.

Another viable option seems to go for 24GB, in an option like 4,8,4,8.

I could then still use my 4 GBs, and as it seems the price at crucial for 2*8 GB is quite similar as to order 2*4GB from Dell!?

So latency shouldnt be any problem, good to know!! Thanks for all input!!

(I have some other thoughts around my system regarding eventual updates, but will post them separate).

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 21st, 2017 15:00

So, then it seems to be ”true” that 4*4 is no option...

I dont believe I will take a chance though with that option, even though I might be able to return them.

Another viable option seems to go for 24GB, in an option like 4,8,4,8.

I could then still use my 4 GBs, and as it seems the price at crucial for 2*8 GB is quite similar as to order 2*4GB from Dell!?

So latency shouldnt be any problem, good to know!! Thanks for all input!!

(I have some other thoughts around my system regarding eventual updates, but will post them separate).

Don't know if you can draw that conclusion. All we can say for certain, is that 4x 4GB isn't documented. Doesn't mean it won't work. More likely, they either didn't test 4x 4GB and/or didn't bother to document it if they tested it.

Adding 2x 8GB from Crucial seems like a good option. If you decide in the future that you still need more RAM, you could go up to 32 GB by replacing the 2x 4GB with another 2x 8GB.

14 Posts

November 23rd, 2017 10:00

Yeah Ron, true!

Since I will do some Photoshop Elements for my hobby-photo 32GB might be an option further ahead!?

14 Posts

November 27th, 2017 08:00

Have now ordered 2x8GB from Crucial which is on the way

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 27th, 2017 11:00

14 Posts

December 5th, 2017 10:00

New memory arrived from  Crucial, 2x8GB, ordered through their ”fitting-tool”.

Installed them and just started the pc, no problem at all and now I got stated 24GB in total.

No Events found!