Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2009 10:00

No Boot Device Detected

I have a Dimension E521 that will not start properly. It comes to a black sceen that says:

"NO BOOT DEVICE DETECTED, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE OR PRESS F2 TO SETUP MENU"

I have tried  Cntrl, Alt, Delete and it goes to the same screen. I have tried F1. I don't know what it could be.

Can someone help me??

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 13th, 2009 11:00

Could be damaged system files or a failed hard drive. You should post your operating system. Boot to your operating system cd/dvd and try a repair. XP has a Recovery Console you can use to repair boot files, run Checkdisk and hard drive diagnostics.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 13th, 2009 13:00

Chrystalyne

Check to see if the hard drive is recognized in the system setup.

See HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for the System Setup details.

Bev.

January 14th, 2009 13:00

Chrystalyne

Check to see if the hard drive is recognized in the system setup.

See HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for the System Setup details.

Bev.

I do believe that the hard drive should be listed as Drive 0

but it doesn't list the drive id.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 14th, 2009 14:00

Chrystalyne

Yes, the primary C:/ hard drive is 'Drive 0'.

The setup should list the hard drive's, Model ID and Size, if this is not listed, then you are looking at a failed SATA hard drive.

If you still have a warranty, you should contact Dell's Technical Support for a replacement.

Bev.

17 Posts

April 2nd, 2009 17:00

....or.......

just remove the USB drive that it's picking up.  or remove it from boot devices menu in BIOS.   usually USB drive is higher on BIOS boot menu than internal HDD.   this one gave me fits until I figured out trial and error. 

6 Posts

April 4th, 2009 14:00

if you have windows Vista  after computer starts up press F8 before windows Logo and  maybe you can reset to Manufactery Condition if it still can read your Harddrive

Hundeson

6 Posts

April 4th, 2009 14:00

what OS you use? XP or Windows Vista?

No Events found!