Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2010 09:00

OptiPlex GX270 2nd Hard Drive?

Hi,

I have an OptiPlex GX270 whose hard drive is filling up fast. Will this desktop support a secondary hard drive please, probably a 3.5 inch  SATA HDD type?

Many thanks :)

Ric

3.7K Posts

July 21st, 2010 12:00

Hi kr236rk, There are 3 versions of the system, See here.  It depends what version you have, see below,

EDIT: MY COPY AND PASTE FROM YOUR MANUAL WILL NOT WORK, Thats also using the CTRL + V.:emotion-3:

512 Posts

July 21st, 2010 20:00

oh! it's a Pentium 4 without a doubt!

does this help please?

thanks,

Ric

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 21st, 2010 20:00

kr236rk

The GX270 comes in three different versions, the Small Form-Factor, Small Desktop and Small Mini-Tower models.

See HERE 

Which version do you have?

Bev.

512 Posts

July 21st, 2010 21:00

thanks Bev :)

Small Desktop Computer!

and P4

Ric

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 21st, 2010 21:00

kr236rk

Ric.

The Small Desktop does not support a second hard drive, the case has space for one 3.5" Hard Drive, one 5.25" Optical Drive and a 3.5" Floppy Drive.

The motherboard has one SATA connector.

See HERE 

If there is an open 3.5" Floppy drive bay, you might be able to install a 3.5" hard drive in this bay, but I think you would be better advise to use a USB external hard drive.

Bev.

512 Posts

July 22nd, 2010 05:00

gosh :-|

thanks

urgh

you mean this?

Serial ATA

7-pin connector

Secondary Serial ATA (not available on the small form-factor or small desktop computers)

7-pin connector

so i'm looking at reformatting the existing HDD or replacing it with a more GB friendly version and doing a clean XP reinstall?

the external harddrive will not solve the Microsoft Update situation which is probably the bulk of my C drive right now :-o

thanks again :)

Ric

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 22nd, 2010 08:00

Ric

You are welcome.

Basically it's a space issue, due to the constraints of the Small Desktop case.

Bev.

512 Posts

July 22nd, 2010 08:00

ok thanks Bev, i can see my way through now ;)

Ric

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 22nd, 2010 09:00

Ric.

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 24th, 2010 13:00

Why not replace the original with a 2tb? Then you'd have plenty of storage and still occupy only a single drive bay.

You can clone the original over to the new with the likes of Acronis True Image.

512 Posts

July 24th, 2010 16:00

Thanks.

I don't understand what you mean?

:emotion-7:

881 Posts

July 24th, 2010 16:00

Buy a new large drive -1TB~2TB. Clone the old drive to it and go on with no worries about space for a long long time.

A program like Acronis True Image will make an EXACT copy of your old HDD.

Jeff

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 24th, 2010 17:00

I bought a 2tb internal from Newegg the other day for $100 postpaid. On sale, they're not much more than the 1tbs.

I used True Image to make a duplicate of the original drive, with the partitions expanded to take advantage of the extra space. Nothing needed to be installed (including the OS) and all my files collected over the years were safely backed up (on the old drive).

If you use a 2tb internal, as Jeff said, you won't have to worry about running out of space for a long, long time.

881 Posts

Sometimes I don't 'splain myself very well - sorry. I meant: to clone the old HDD to a new, larger drive via an external enclosure. Then remove the old, small drive, replace it with the clone (internal) and use the old one for a paper weight.

HDD space is cheap. Get you some!!

Jeff

512 Posts

Thanks Jeff

You wrote:

"Buy a new large drive -1TB~2TB. Clone the old drive to it and go on with no worries about space for a long long time.

A program like Acronis True Image will make an EXACT copy of your old HDD."

OK i just fell in - TB = 1000GB [duh]

So you mean hook up to a TB external HDD > clone the tiddly 20GB already on the C Drive, erase it and "!" new C Drive!

Hm, problem is a lot of the guts of the C are tied up with Microsoft Updates and they are the biggest draw on this old 40GB C drive / internal HDD. Would i not be better off just hiking the old C drive out and replacing it with a 1 TB internal SATA HDD?

I don't need zillions of byte space on that old desktop cos i use it for small recording projects (music) but the drive is filling up with Microsoft stuff so i need to take action or the efficiency of the pc is going to dip.

This is a budget-splitter cos I also need to up the Ram, my latest audio mixer (update) software is twice as memory-hungry as the old version and 'no worries' projects of 6 months ago are starting to freeze the software, hence my posts, questions and concern at the present C drive situation basically.

I plan to backup data then install a larger HDD, then clean install from my original XP disc: does this sound cool if i do go down that road please?

Many thanks :)

No Events found!