Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2008 03:00

Question about "Dell Recommended" products (video card) for Precision 450

I'm looking and the possible need to replace my current video card (ATI FIRE GL X1) in my Precision 450. It seems that when logged into my Dell account that Dell is recommending a product that I may be interested in purchasing but I have a few questions after reading it's Tech. Specs.

The recommended card is: here

In referencing the card specs it looks as if this card has a 450W power supply. Is this compatible with the 450's 360W power supply?

I need an AGP type card and would like one with more than the 128MB that my current card has.

It also looks like this card: here might be a possibility. I'm a designer/developer and need a card that renders fairly true color.

Wondering if anyone has experience with the two recommended products or might be able to after another suggestion possibly.

Thanks.

241 Posts

September 18th, 2008 03:00

if you click on the compatability button your system is listed with no restrictions so should be ok. The original card manufacturers recommendations for the minimum PSU spec (the card does not "have" a 450W itself) is based on a fully loaded PC and includes a considerable headroom because many aftermarket PSUs would struggle to reliably give the output they are rated at.

Most of the Dell PSU ratings are either accurate or slightly conservative. In terms of colour accuracy there is nothing to say an expensive "gaming" class card will give any better rendering than a middle rated card from a reputable manufacturer. In order to get that from a card you would need to get specific hardware but the better option would be to get a calibration device such as a Huey, only do the colour senstive tasks when everything has warmed up and recalibrate regularly.

No Events found!