Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2009 12:00

Replacing Dell XPS 710 motherboard

Can someone advise me on how I can get a replacement motherboard for my Dell XPS 710?

I've been trying to buy one from Dell, in fact I've just placed my third order for it today. The first couple of times, my order was canceled because the part wasn't in stock--which is what Customer Care told me. Yet everytime I call Dell Sales, there's always plenty in stock. Funny right?

February 19th, 2009 11:00

I have the same computer which I purchased about 18 months ago. Last week, it just stopped booting. I took it to a computer repair shop and they told me that the problem was the motherboard. I called Dell to order a replacement motherboard and they told me that they had some in stock but those were reserved for people who have machines that are still under warranty. Huh?? So I guess they know the motherboard is going to fail...now I am stuck with a non-working computer that I spent a lot of money on and Dell won't sell me a part to make it work. Does anybody know if there is an alternate motherboard that I could install?

14.4K Posts

February 19th, 2009 11:00

i have not heard of that one before, However you can check Ebay or you best bet is to switch it out with a 720 board. You will need a couple of extra parts but you should be able to get them.

other than that there is not much you can do. to replace it with any other motherboard will require a new powersupply, motherboard and tray and modification of the case.

March 9th, 2009 15:00

Thanks, Davet50. Do you know what the part number for the 720 board is?

Tina

14.4K Posts

March 9th, 2009 16:00

Thanks, Davet50. Do you know what the part number for the 720 board is?

Tina

Here is a link to all the parts of a 720.

You will also need one of these depending on the color of your system

XU556 Rear I/O Panel Assembly, Metal, XPS 720 ASSY,PNL,REAR,I/O,MET,XPS,720 0 1 0 Yes 0
XU567 Front I/O Panel Assembly, Black, XPS 720 ASSY,PNL,FRT,I/O,BLK,XPS,720 0 0 1 Yes 0
XU695 Front I/O Panel Assembly, Red, XPS 720 ASSY,PNL,FRT,I/O,RED,XPS,720 0 0 1 Yes 0

March 9th, 2009 18:00

Fantastic! Thanks. Looks like I can finally get the panel color I want too :) Am I correct in assuming that I can still use the original processor (not the quad core) or will I need to upgrade that too ?

Thanks again,

Tina

14.4K Posts

March 10th, 2009 06:00

Yes you can. Just be sure to pickup some new thermal paste, clean off the bottom of the heat sink and top of processor and reapply.

Here are some links on how to do that.

Arctic Silver

Thremal Paste

March 23rd, 2009 11:00

Just an update: I wasn't able to find a 720 motherboard but did find one for the 710 on ebay. I finally have my computer back. Sadly, the cost: $49 for diagnostics, $292 for the motherboard, and $99 for the installation of the motherboard. Ugh.

June 14th, 2009 15:00

If you have not yet located a motherboard for your XPS710, I found one on eBay

he has 3 left as of this writing at $282 each with free shipping, mine took about

3 days, the seller lives in CT. and I live in CA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360161374842

July 26th, 2009 18:00

I keep seeing more and more folks who have had motherboard failures with their 710s. Mine has burned up - twice - but fortunately under warranty. You'd think Dell would do more for all of us who have been 'burned.'

3 Posts

October 29th, 2009 10:00

Aug 30, 2009: 2 year old 710, Motherboard fried. Dell, stating out of warrranty status, quoted $465 for 710 MOBO replacement.  Update: CompUSA, $599, new gaming machine. Problem resolved.

Btw, the new machine works just as fine as my $4000+ Dell. Very interesting.

October 31st, 2009 07:00

my 710 mobo fried after 20 months dell canada quoted me $295 one is finally in the mail after seven weeks of sales people saying they will phone me back  and not one of the 4 i tried ever did. i finally got lucky on my 5th call they had one in stock.it has been a eye opener for me .i mean even the vid card has special dell only brackets on it.sound card even though its soundblaster it's dell only.so this is my last dell .when this mobo goes in a year or so i'll build my own or three for the price of this $3000 paperweight.

1 Message

February 4th, 2010 21:00

It's too bad. An impressive machine when it arrived. Three MoBo's later and I'm left with junk, a cheap replacement machine and 2TB of unrecoverable data. The RAID controller is proprietary on this box and DELL offered No assistance in recovering my data.

My advice to anyone with one of these  things: Back Up everything you have on an External drive. Do It Now. I'm not kidding here. Do It Now. YES, Now.

I have learned my lesson. Ordered a new machine from a custom builder that understands the reality of computer users. Pick up a copy of PCGamer and read the ads if you care about a performance machine that will not let you down.

4 Posts

May 13th, 2010 10:00

Hey, everybody.  I got a hold of a XPS 710 with a burnt out motherboard.  A replacement board will cost me around 400 usd.  But what if I just went on newegg and got a new case, mb, powersupply, and just combined it with the cpu, video card, hard drives from the xps.  pricewise it would be about the same, but at least I won't depend on dell anymore.  Do you think this can work out?  and is there anything else except the case, mb, powersupply I would need?

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 13th, 2010 13:00

AUBGeek

Yes, it can be done.

Depending on the motherboard used, maybe the memory, plus a new retail, or OEM copy of windows, as Dell's OEM copies are tied to their BIOS and cannot be activated.

Bev.

14.4K Posts

May 13th, 2010 19:00

What would really matter is what processor is on the motherboard, the type and speed of the ram, and the vintage of the video card. Most 710's came with a 8800 GT or GTX, which while still a ok card is not up to par for most of the newer games and such. They will work but are dated.

If the cpu is not a Core 2 or Quad Core then there is no advantage of reusing that. The hard drives should be good to go.

No Events found!