Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 26th, 2016 09:00

T1700 Thunderbol PCIe issues

Hi,

I have had my T1700 for a few months now, with included thunderbolt card and I have an issue that when anything (apple thunderbolt to firewire / thunderbolt cable with or without thunderbolt device) connected to the thunderbolt port, the PC will NOT POST/BOOT.

If I remove said cables/devices the PC works perfectly normally.

I have had an engineer replace the thunderbolt card but that had no impact, the issue still persists. I have searched for this issue via google and not found one single occurrence online. It would appear that I am the only person to ever have the issue.
All devices that I have tested work on Apple devices and Lenovo W541 laptops, so it isn't the devices at fault.

I am at a loss as to what is causing the issue, and so is Dell technical support. I am still awaiting a call back from Dell this week.

I really want to get the issue fixed, but if I can't is it possible to return the thunderbolt card? This has had a major impact on my productivity, albeit I have purchased a cheap firewire card and am using that, but I should not have this issue at all.

Machine specs are:

T1700 mini tower
Intel E1220 v3 3.10ghz

8GB RAM

AMD Fire Pro w4100

WD Blue 500gb HDD

290w PSU

Windows 10 pro x64

All drive up to date using latest from Dell.

Any help in resolving the issue is much appreciated

Regards

Scott

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 26th, 2016 17:00

There is no such thing as a PCI-E thunderbolt card so the issue is that your device is trying to draw all its power from the thunderbolt port and that's why the machine wont post.  Cards going into the PCI-E bus have a thunderbolt Header and require a wrap around from display port.

http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2013/11/intel-announces-thunderbolt-ready-upgrade-program-for-pc-motherboards-desktops-and-workstation-computers/

So it gets 25W from the PCI-E slot and the thunderbolt SERIAL connection from a header on the motherboard.

Whatever the device is its drawing too much power so it looks like a psu overload.

4 Posts

January 28th, 2016 05:00

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Power seems like the cause, however, I noticed something in the article, or rather the picture you had linked. I never had a Display Port cable linked from the motherboard display port to the thunderbolt card. I purchased one and the issue went.

However, as of this morning it has started again, so the likely cause definitely seems to be a power issue. What I don't understand, however, is that the device I am using (Focusrite Saffire pro 24 DPS audio interface) is powered by its own PSU, and also, the issue persists with a regular Apply thunderbolt cable connected, alone.
So with no additional devices, just a TB cable or Apple TB to Firewire adapter connected, it seems odd that it is a power issue.

One thing I did note, was that AMD recommend a 500w PSU with my GPU, and oddly the PC comes as standard, with my spec with a 290w.

I'm going to try a new PSU, it helps that I have a spare 850w, and I'll report back.

Just to add, the startup report, states a driver not loaded for dxgkrnl.sys. Whether that's part of the problem, I am not sure.

Regards

Scott

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 29th, 2016 11:00

You need a MODDIY adapter to use a non dell power supply.   Corsair CS750M is what I would recommend.

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-T1700-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%2830cm%29.html

4 Posts

February 6th, 2016 03:00

Hi, I tried with the 850w PSU I have and no luck.

I think I have found the issue though, in the BIOS I have to set thunderbolt to user authentication and the PC will BOOT, however, when the device it authenticated it will no longer BOOT on restart.

The issue appears to be with the TB to FW cable and ANY apple branded cable. It appears to be a compatibility issue.

The only cable that works is this:

http://www.dabs.com/products/startech-com-2m-thunderbolt-3-20gbps-cable-tblt3mm2m-BVV1.html?q=thunderbolt%20cable&src=16

The issue only appears to be present with non windows certified cables, which is a pain as the isn't a single windows certified TB to FW adapter. But as I mention, it appears to be a compatibility issue with the apple cables.

For now, I am stuck with using firewire until someone makes a windows compatible TB-FW adapter.

Regards

Scott

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 00:00

Hi,

Following the past few weeks of having the thunderbolt working, I am now back to square one, intermittently. I'm at a loss now as to what the cause is, however there is now a problem with the rear USB 3.0 ports losing connection, requiring a turn off and cold start to fix.

As the thunderbolt issue has been going on since I got the PC, even after Dell replaced the TB card, I am not sure as to the cause. However, when Dell sent the engineer round last July, he also offered to change the motherboard and being that the PC was 3 days old at that point, I declined to have a refurbished board installed.

Looks like I'll be having an engineer replace the board.

Regards

Scott

5 Posts

August 7th, 2016 05:00

Hi,

Apparently I cannot sign in as my old user due to an error, so I have had to make a new one.

I have found the cause of the issue, windows was installing an incorrect driver for my display and chipset which kept causing this.

The work around is to uninstall said drivers from device manager and software from my programs and then reinstall the correct drivers from vendor, being, dell. After doing that, I have zero issues whatsoever.

I have to do this every time windows 10 updates as I cannot find a way to stop windows from updating drivers!

On the flip side, I know the cause, its only taken a year to find it but now I just need a solution to prevent windows driver updates!

Regards

Scott

5 Posts

August 21st, 2016 06:00

I have found the problem, it's the GPU

I recorded the issue: www.youtube.com/watch

Long story short, the pc is not freezing or locking up. the Dell boot screen is just frozen, I can get basic functionality with key commands but it is still not useable!

I have contacted Dell to arrange an engineer, so shall see what can be done.

I'll record an in depth video later, but I think I have found the cause!

Regards

Scott

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 21st, 2016 14:00

Dell Does not support the APPLE thunderbolt to firewire Adapter.

5 Posts

August 28th, 2016 05:00

Hi SpeedStep,

I had thought that the issue could be compatibility, however, it has persisted with windows supported thunderbolt cables that I have had on loan to test.

Given that the issue appears to be intermittent, I'm at a complete loss as to what the cause may be. The dell engineers that I have had, have had results that last for a little while and then revert back to the issue I have, which often has made everything that has been tried look like the solution.

The thunderbolt on my system is listed as 156A TB adapter in device manager, there is no new drivers for almost a year, and there appears to be very little documentation on it, too.

I don't even know if it is thunderbolt 1 or 2, something that I should know, but my order just lists it as a thunderbolt controller, but I'm guessing it is thunderbolt 1.

I think, as Dell, Microsoft and Intel can't find a solution, not through lack of trying, but I appear to be the only one who has reported this issue - the cause may not be found. Therefore, I think I'll just have to persist and hope that a future driver update may help. I have alternative options of the hardware I am using that would remove the need to use thunderbolt so that might be worth considering.

Anyway, thanks for offering help, it's much appreciated.

Cheers

Scott

No Events found!