Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2015 21:00

Upgrading a Dell Dimension 8200?

I have a very old Dell Dimension 8200 desktop PC that I found at a yard sale for free, and initially it came with only 256 MB of RDRAM. I ordered a 1 GB kit for it, and the seller had shipped me 4 512 MB modules that fit in the PC just fine. That made the RAM go from 256 MB to 2 GB, though apparently the 8200 can supposedly only go up to 1 GB. Any reason why that was possible? Anyways, I will try and upgrade the CPU from 1.7 ghz over to something higher (gotta find the chipset it has) and if I have enough money, I'll put a better video card in it. And before anyone says to buy a new PC with the money it would take to put new parts in this; I have a very good, 2013 PC that works fine. I just want to see how far I can upgrade the 8200, just as a project more than anything. But honestly; Why did the 2 GB upgrade actually work if Dell states it can go only up to 1 GB? I also seen that the PC I use daily, an Inspiron 660, can utilize around 32 GB, though Dell says up to 8 GB, though they have sold the same model with around 16 GB. It's all confusing.

5.2K Posts

December 19th, 2015 07:00

Many Dell's can handle more than Dell claims. Often hardware changes occur throughout the life of the model, and newer versions will take more. Limitations result from both the particular Chipset, the BIOS and the motherboard. Each doubling of RAM support takes an additional address line to be present.

No Events found!