Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2012 10:00

What is MediaButtons.exe and why does it use so much CPU?

I asked this on the Dell Software/OS forum a couple of weeks ago, but have not had an answer.  I hope someone sees this and can respond.

On my wife's new Inspiron One 2320 with touchscreen, Task Manager shows MediaButtons.exe consuming about 50% of the CPU most all the time.  A quick search of the Web yields only sketchy information on this process, with an importance factor ranging from 'no worry at all' to 'threat.'  What exactly is MediaButtons.exe? 

A search of the Web attributes this process to anything from a 'nasty virus' to a utility associated with the Eject button on the CD/DVD drive.  Task Manager names Dell in the Description column, so I figured someone here ought to know.  Many thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 9th, 2012 16:00

Hi inojim,

Here's what I found, "Supports the eject button on the front on the Dell Studio Hybrid desktop. If disabled, the user will have to eject the CD/DVD by opening My Computer, right-clicking on the drive and selecting "Eject" from the available options".

I am not sure how you would go about fixing it other than to uninstall.

16 Posts

February 9th, 2012 21:00

Well, well.  thanks for finding that and thanks for the quick reply.  Hey, the computer has a little button on the CD/DVD tray that ejects the disc, wouldn't that still work?  If the mundane process of ejecting a disc utilizes 50% of the CPU resources, something seems very wrong.  This is my wife's computer, and she doesn't like me messing with it, but I think I'll go in and disable the MediaButtons.exe through Task Manager, then play some CDs, create a data disc and do some other exercises to see if I can do without this function.  It just doesn't seem right, somehow.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 10th, 2012 16:00

It would be an easy matter of killing the process in task manager, then checking to see if your button works.

If this is a startup process, it's simple to set it to "manual" in services, which prevents it from starting on boot.

July 17th, 2013 06:00

I am having issues with this same file, yet I cannot find it on the machine, even after I "Show hidden folders, files, and drives" and I unhide protected operating system files.  Where the [Admin Note: Post edited per TOU] do I find this file?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 17th, 2013 17:00

Hi Efficientsinc,

You don't need to remove the file. Just kill the process and prevent it from starting up in services.

No Events found!