Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2017 16:00

XPS 8500: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key

I have an XPS 8500 that will not boot normally. It was running fine and all of a sudden came up with the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key". I have figured out if I go into BIOS first the PC will boot up but is very slow in doing so. I googled the issue and found something telling me to default the BIOS. I did this and it booted once. Trying to decide if the HD is out. I ran diagnostics and it does not see a HD. But if that's the case why does it even boot after going into BIOS. I am running Windows 10 Pro. I updated Windows 7 Pro. I am a strong believer in Dell and find it hard to believe that a HD would go out after only 4 years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 7th, 2017 00:00

Seems like the hard drive is failing.

The Hard drive is a sensitive component and sometimes just a speck of dust can harm it. Hardware components can fail anytime regardless of the age of the computer.

Please restart the computer, get into bios by tapping F2, check if the hard drive is detected in bios. Press F9 to set bios to defaults & F10 to save & exit.

Run a custom test on the hard drive by following the below steps.

1) Press at the welcome screen for the boot menu

2) At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, then press to begin ePSA.

3) Choose no for memory test and then choose system test

4) Now click on custom test and highlight hard drive and click run test

If the test fails with any hard drive error you will need to replace the hard drive if not you may consider reinstalling the OS.

2 Posts

August 7th, 2017 05:00

I ran the ePSA test on the hard drive and it does not see a hard drive...not good. Can you tell me how to go about getting the OS install for my machine? I bought it with Windows 7 Pro and updated it to Windows 10 Pro. I have already ordered a hard drive.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 8th, 2017 21:00

This system model does not have OS image which can be downloaded.

For the OS image, you will need to reach out to our out of warranty team. They will assist you with the OS drive, there will be a nominal charge for shipping and handling.

If you upgraded to Windows 10 through your Microsoft account you can upgrade to Windows 10 after the Windows 7 installation.

You can contact our out of warranty team (United States) on 1-800-288-4410 (7 am to 12 am Monday-Friday)

August 9th, 2017 04:00

(Second Option) Download a Windows disk image (.iso) file.  Any should work, though I use 7 Ultimate.  Extract the .iso file to a USB drive or DVD.  Set machine to boot from USB or DVD.  Reboot PC and select to boot from USB/DVD if asked.  Select startup repair when the choice is offered.  I've used this same technique on HP, Toshiba and Dell machines.

(FIRST OPTION) Make sure your boot options are correct in your BIOS before going to Option 2.

No Events found!