Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2011 13:00

dell vostro 200 start up trouble

I have a dell vostro 200 when i hit he power button the fan turns on then a sec\ond later i get 2 short beeps then a pasue then 2 more beeps . I dont know what is wrong

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 20th, 2011 13:00

zammervile

Check the reading of the power button LED, is it Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber?

The Vostro 200 Troubleshooter is HERE.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Two 'Beeps' indicate a memory issue, first try opening the case, then remove and reinstall the all the memory modules and see if this makes a difference.

Still does not start, remove all the memory modules, then install only one module in slot 1, then see if the system boots and if the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module.

Does not boot, move the module to slot 2 and again see if the system boots, no boot, try the module in slot 3, no boot, try installing in slot 4.

Still does not boot, then remove the first module and using the second one, repeat the sequence described above.

Still no boot, try installing any remaining modules, one at a time, using the above procedure.

Continue until you have identified a faulty module [or slot] or reinstalled all modules without error.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 20th, 2011 15:00

I have a solid blue lite  i may have bought the wrong new memory everywhere i looked  it said it took ddr2  6400 but i just found out that it takes ddr2 5300 which is thee right one

i have tried the the steps that you had suggested but to no avail i might have the right memory

zammervile

Have you upgraded the memory, by replacing the default RAM with new memory you have purchased?

If you have, remove the 'new' memory and reinstall the default memory and see if the Vostro 200 boots up.

Bev.

2 Posts

February 20th, 2011 15:00

I have a solid blue lite  i may have bought the wrong new memory everywhere i looked  it said it took ddr2  6400 but i just found out that it takes ddr2 5300 which is thee right one

i have tried the the steps that you had suggested but to no avail i might have the right memory

No Events found!