Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2012 21:00

diskette drive 0 seek failure

hi all, thanks in advance for any ideas or fixes.

i have a dimension c521 (all original parts) that i recently wiped and loaded with xp pro. i get the error message "diskette drive 0 seek failure, press f1 to continue or press f2 to enter setup". i hit f1 and windows loads, the machine works fine. i can't seem to find anything in the bios allowing me to disable the diskette drive seek. bios is Phoenix award workstation v6.00pg. any ideas would be appreciated.  Chris

17 Posts

March 9th, 2013 13:00

thanks for the reply/help.

changed the battery-didn't work.

searched the BIOS for any options to turn off "diskette drive" and found that the actual terminology used in the BIOS is "Floppy Drive A". just set it at "none" to take care of the problem.

thanks again for your help.

Chris

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 1st, 2012 21:00

cwlocke00

Enter the System Setup and scroll down to the Drives/Diskette Drive and change the setting to 'off'.

Bev.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 9th, 2013 04:00

Hi cwlocke,

From the main BIOS page, go to Drives, diskette drive, OFF.

If the error happens again, then you need to replace your motherboard battery with one of those CR2032 batteries sold everywhere.

17 Posts

March 9th, 2013 04:00

went all through the BIOS and did not find anything that would allow the turning off as suggested.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 9th, 2013 16:00

Oh, yeah, floppy drive, diskette drive, same thing. Glad that worked!

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 04:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                  

No Events found!