Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 1st, 2009 13:00

"USB or Onboard CD ROM Drive Not Present"...?

Hi,

I installed a new internal hard drive into my Dell Dimension 8400 last week.

Thought everything was going well until I tried to use one of the two CD/DVD drives. Both lights come on and the trays open but when I insert a CD nothing happens and I cant find them under "Device Manager". In the Set Up menu I dont see them either. In "My Computer" they're not showing up under "Devices with removable storage"

Anyone any ideas how I can fix this?

TIA

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 1st, 2009 14:00

First thing to check is the Device Type jumper.  It should be on Cable Select (NOT Master or Slave).  This is usually the problem, with what you are seeing.

Also, make sure the data cable is fully and correctly installed in both drives and on the motherboard.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 1st, 2009 16:00

steery1

It's the 'Jumper' on the IDE/ATA optical drives.  See HERE    

Note:  The Jumper Settings should be listed on the case of the drive

Also, check that the data and power cables are properly connected to drives and motherboard.

Bev.

14 Posts

Hi Bev. :emotion-1:

When I opened the case to install the extra hard drive the cable into the motherboard from the two optical drives pulled free. I put it back in at that time.

I opened the case up again tonight to make sure and all the cables were secure. Do you think it could be a cable problem?

14 Posts

Sorry to sound silly but whats a "Device Type jumper"? How do I ensure its on Cable Select?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 1st, 2009 17:00

steery1

Yes, it is possible.

Also, sometimes the IDE ribbon cable can be damaged and needs to be replaced.   :emotion-6:

Bev.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 1st, 2009 18:00

I don't see on any of your posts where you say you checked the Device Type jumper (it's usually to the left of the IDE Ribbon I/O cable connector).

And, check the BIOS (setup) - F2 at boot up and to see if the CD drive(s) are being detected.  If the drive(s) are not detected by the BIOS, Windows will not "see" them.

14 Posts

May 2nd, 2009 04:00

Thanks Bev and Fireberd. :emotion-1:

New cable seems to have done the trick.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 2nd, 2009 12:00

steery1

Pleased to hear that the problem is resolved.

Bev.

No Events found!