Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 22nd, 2012 15:00

sudden power stoppage

This morning my Dimension 8300 suddenly went off, and pushing the Power On button did nothing.

When I opened the case, I found a little light was On on the motherboard.  The power cord was plugged securely; I unplugged it and the mobo light went off.  Then I plugged the power cord back into the case and all was fine:  the Power On button worked and the computer is working fine.

What should I suspect?  The 305W PSU passed a test a few weeks ago ("S&M Stress Test") that claimed to test the PSU.  Or should I suspect a power difficulty in the wall circuit I plugged the computer into?

Thank you very much!

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

November 25th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

I agree with you that it seems to be a problem with the power supply unit. Dell Dimension 8300 has not been tested with 400W of power supply unit.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 25th, 2012 11:00

No matter where I plug it in, or what cord I use, about every other week the issue repeats.  (Randomly, even with nothing running and the monitor off.)  That is, the power suddenly goes off and the Power On button does nothing until I unplug the power cord, and re-plug it in.  Then all is well.

I think it's time that I replace my 305W PSU with a larger one.  (My video card specifies "Power Supply Requirement  400 Watt or greater".)  Since I don't know what to look for, I'm about to post a question about buying it.

coyote5

A 400w [or higher wattage] power supply will work fine in the dimension 8300.

Standard generic ATX power supplies, with a 20-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard connector, without the on/off switch, can be installed in the Dimension 8300.

If you use a PSU with the switch, then you will have to modify the back panel of the case, by cutting a hole for it.

The power supply can purchased  from a local or online computer store.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 1st, 2012 09:00

coyote5

I use either a pair of right handed aviation tin snips, or a hand nibbler, similar to the following.

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/sheet-metal-hand-nibblers.php

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-76011B-Nibbler-Tool/dp/B0000CBJCT/ref=sr_1_fed1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354381625&sr=8-1&keywords=sheet+metal+nibbler

Power hand nibblers are expensive, for this type of modification.

http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A552984&ie=UTF8&psrk=power+hand+nibblers+

Bev.

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2012 16:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to run the diagnostics on the computer to confirm all parts are functioning correctly.

To run the diagnostics follow the steps below.

1. Restart the computer and tap the F12 key to access One Time Boot Menu.

2. Highlight Boot to Utility Partition and hit Enter.

3. Diagnostics would get initiated.

Please make a note of the error code if you get any.

You can refer the Dell Article 266787

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

88 Posts

October 22nd, 2012 18:00

Thank you very much for the Reply, DELL-Manshu S!

I no longer have a Utility Partition.  So I looked for a download I could create a boot CDR from at

www.dell.com/.../dimension-8300

But I'm not sure these will work.  The first makes floppies (I guess I could buy floppies and I have a USB floppy drive).  

Do you know how I can make a boot CD of Dell Diagnostics, please?

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 13:00

Hi,

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

88 Posts

October 25th, 2012 18:00

Thank you very much for sending the CD.  However as soon as I "Press a key to start from the CD/DVD..." it hangs on the very next message "Continuing to boot from CD/DVD...".

So I taught myself how to create a Boot CD of the diagnostics I downloaded from www.dell.com/.../dimension-8300

It also hangs very soon, on: "Please Wait, testing device drivers: ............."

(I believe my (IDE) optical drive is working perfectly.)

88 Posts

November 24th, 2012 06:00

No matter where I plug it in, or what cord I use, about every other week the issue repeats.  (Randomly, even with nothing running and the monitor off.)  That is, the power suddenly goes off and the Power On button does nothing until I unplug the power cord, and re-plug it in.  Then all is well.

I think it's time that I replace my 305W PSU with a larger one.  (My video card specifies "Power Supply Requirement  400 Watt or greater".)  Since I don't know what to look for, I'm about to post a question about buying it.

88 Posts

November 25th, 2012 05:00

Thank you very much for your helpful reply, Manshu!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

coyote5

Newegg does list a StarTech PSU w/o the on/off switch, but it seems only a 350w unit is available and it has a 24-pin power connector, not the 20-pin, or the 20+4-pin connector, supported by the Dimension 8300.

Either a 460w, or a 550w, Dell compatible power supply w/o the switch can be purchased from here:

http://www.power-on.com/dell.html#

Personally, I would modify the back panel, by cutting a hole and installing a standard power supply with the switch.

Bev.

88 Posts

Thank you very much for your reply (in both threads), Bev!

Googling had led me to be comfortable with getting a PSU > 400W (I want to have plenty of margin).

I wish some online store (such as Newegg) made it  easier to figure out which PSUs were switchless and had those pin connections.

88 Posts

November 25th, 2012 13:00

Thank you very much, shesagordie!  

I think I will mod the back panel after all, rather than have so few choices (none of Newegg's ATX PSU's >400W are switchless.)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 25th, 2012 13:00

coyote5

Happy to have helped.

Another good point for modding the back panel, buying a power supply w/o the switch, always cost more than a standard ATX unit with the switch. 

Bev.

88 Posts

December 1st, 2012 08:00

What tool would make the mod (creating a hole in the back panel for the switch) easiest?  (I've got carpal tunnel, so I'm hoping a power tool will do the trick.)

88 Posts

December 1st, 2012 09:00

A power nibbler looks perfect for this!  (Fortunately for me there's a nearby Tool Lending Library where I hope to borrow one for free.)

No Events found!