Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2011 09:00

where to plug in external speakers

Hello All

Please forgive me for asking this probably simple question, but I'm not sure of the answer.

I just got a Optiplex 380 win7 32bit. I did not order speakers since I have NEC speakers (which I've had for quite a few years) that still work fine. At least they worked on my Dell Dimension 5150 XP machine that just recently died.

The NEC speakers have a power supply and there is a 'black' male plug that should go into the back of the computer. My question is exactly where do I plug them in? There is a 'light green' line-out connector and a 'pink-blue' line-in/microphone connector on the back of the computer. I'm assuming that I plug the speakers into the line-out connector....am I correct? Will I hurt the computer if I plug the speakers into the wrong place? Are there drivers for speakers that I might have to find and install?

Again, please forgive the maybe stupid questions but when it comes to computers I'm not very knowledgeable about the inner workings.

Thanks in advance

Barb

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2011 10:00

The GREEN (or Light Green) jack is the Speaker jack, same as it was on the 5150.  It should work the same.  (I have an E510 which is identical to the 5150).

7 Posts

July 22nd, 2011 11:00

Thanks Very Much. Works fine.

1 Message

January 14th, 2016 18:00

I have a similar problem, but when I plug in the green hole, nothing happens.  The light doesn't go on for the speaker, and I get no sound.  What now?

These speakers worked fine before I moved, but I don't remember how they were hooked up.

No Events found!