Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2018 05:00

Delete Bucket but no space reclamation

Hello,

I'm testing the ECS, and I had a bucket where I stored some "testing" data.

I reached out the maximum size of my bucket.

So I deleted all the content of this bucket, but it looks like ECS doesn't clean up the data as I have still an Storage utilization close to 100%.

Image 5.png

How can I clean up this so I could continue my tests ?

Thanks,

22 Posts

February 9th, 2018 08:00

I'm not sure I'm the best person for this, but a couple of basic things to check first:

Are you sure that the delete requests were successful?

Did you see the response code?

Is it possible that the deletes failed due to retention (which could be set at object or bucket level)?

Do you have versioning turned on? (old versions need to be specifically deleted)

22 Posts

February 9th, 2018 11:00

I am trying to find reference within the documentation. However, note that it can take up to 72 hours for space to be reclaimed by garbage collection scanning process.

19 Posts

February 13th, 2018 09:00

Is this by any chance a ECS Community Edition installation - or is it a full physical ECS Appliance?

10 Posts

February 13th, 2018 09:00

Hello,

This the ECS Community édition.

Regards

Pierre

Le 13 févr. 2018 à 18:10, CBR > a écrit :

DECN

Delete Bucket but no space reclamation

reply from CBR in ECS - Elastic Cloud Storage - View the full discussion

10 Posts

February 14th, 2018 00:00

Hello,

Well, I just check after few days... and nothing has been deleted !!!

I checked also the retention and it's set to 0 seconds.

I'm sure to have deleted all the content of my bucket has I deleted completely the bucket from the ECS (if bucket was not empty, it couldn't delete it).

Is there any issue with the ECS Community Edition ?

Can I delete through SSH the content of the /ecs/ directory ?

Thanks for your support.

7 Posts

February 14th, 2018 04:00

There is an internal EMC tool called Bucket Wipe, there can clean up buckets, whit all the versionings in it, but this is an EMC tool only, so open an SR# to get emc to do it.

or check whit an S3 browser if any versonings is in the bucket, be aware you need S3 pro to delete many versioning files

It could be a nice feature to have a form of Engineering mode I ECS GUI to do this job

7 Posts

February 14th, 2018 05:00

Arrhgg i didn't see that but i reside on the Appliance series

19 Posts

February 14th, 2018 05:00

Kenneth, as the above is a Community Edition and not an actual ECS, there are no means for SR nor any of the ECS utilities we have for appliance.

I am unsure whether CE actually supports any form of Garbage Collection and I have reached out to the team who works on it, asking them to comment.

Lastly, we do not have any support of any kind for ECS Community Edition.

Any issues found should be reported on the CE github page:

GitHub - EMCECS/ECS-CommunityEdition: ECS Community Edition "Free & Frictionless"

Regards

Christoffer

10 Posts

February 14th, 2018 08:00

Thanks guys for your support.

As this was a test system, I did it the hard way:

• ecsremove purge-nodes
  • step1
  • step2

Now, I'll verify (before the storage is full) if I delete some elements from a Bucket if space is reclaim or not.

If not, there is a huge problem !

Thanks again for your support.

19 Posts

February 15th, 2018 01:00

Pierre,

As mentioned above, the Community Edition system is a demo setup. It is _not_ an actual ECS, it does _not_ come with the full ECS feature stack.

The idea behind it, is fundamentally for playing around with the API's in a lab (non-internet connected) environment.

With that in mind, there is not a huge problem in relation to the ECS system. Garbage Collection on an actual ECS, works just fine.

If you find there is an issue with garbage collection/space reclaim on the Community Edition (API demo system), please raise an issue on the github I mentioned earlier - the project owner will let you know whether it is expected or not.

Regards

No Events found!