Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2015 23:00

Best way to silently install DUP drivers?

Rather than placing most of our drivers in the Windows driver store, we are starting to have our Dell drivers silently install after deployment based on the model of the computer.

As a test, we are trying to install all drivers on a fresh image on a Latitude E5520.  Each driver installation command begins with a start /wait command so that the command line waits before moving to the next driver.  So, our commands might look something like this:

start /wait C:\E5540\driver1.exe /s
start /wait C:\E5540\driver2.exe /s
start /wait C:\E5540\driver3.exe /s

This seems to work well for most drivers, but there is one particular driver (the Bluetooth driver on the Latitude E5520) that seems to hang every single time.  Once it gets to that driver, it never moves to the next one.  If I go into Task Manager and kill off the processes that the driver installed/started, it will continue to the next driver.

If I run that one driver without start /wait, everything seems to work fine, but I know that can't be the optimal way to install it.

First of all, am I installing the DUP drivers correctly?

Second, is it unusual to have a DUP driver do this?  If so, is my method of correcting it acceptable?

17 Posts

April 13th, 2015 17:00

Any ideas?

February 18th, 2021 00:00

Seen this happen then the WLAN hardware switch is off as the BT and WLAN are the same module and this cuts the data (it is mSATA I believe) and /or power to the module thus BT is disabled also. Think of it as the Aeroplane mode on mobile devices of today...just a hunch.

Also, the Windows BT stack sometimes gets loaded during OOBE setup thus might cause issues when trying to apply an older instance of the stack, which in most cases should be removed before updating the BT stack.

Food for though despite this being a very old thread

No Events found!