Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 13th, 2013 00:00

E7240/E7440 - Intel Management Engine Drivers crashes Windows 7 setup

Hi all,

Just wonder if anyone else is having issues with Windows installation crashing with the Intel Management Engine Drivers injected directly in to the WIM Image?

The error message that pops up during the installation says "Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and the restart the installation". Once rebooted it will loops with the message " The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows click OK to restart the computer, and then restart the installation"  I've check the logs in X:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\, but can't find any thing useful (or understand).

I can get installation to complete by excluding the the IME drivers, but this leaves the device with no drivers in the Device manager. The same drivers can be installed manually with out any issues after Windows has finished installing. 

The driver revision for the 7 series latitudes I am using is A00 released on 09/06/2013.

6 Posts

November 12th, 2013 07:00

I would suggest applying the KMDF during the task sequence. To do this you would just create a new package containing the KMDF, then run a command to apply the KMDF using DISM after the OS is applied, but before the Setup Windows and ConfigMgr step.

I used a method similar to the one outlined here: 

http://deploymentramblings.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/osd-injecting-the-windows-7-kernel-mode-driver-framework-kmdf/

3 Posts

February 4th, 2014 02:00

Good morning allz,

First of all, i'm new to this so apologize me.

I experience a problem wen  deploy my Windows 7 x64 image through WDS. Everything goes fine until the step where Windows shows the screen "Setup will continue after restarting the computer". it hangs there but the screen is not frozen.

I hard shutdown the computer and switch it on back and the process continue....

I injected through DISm the KMDF 1.11 in my image but i still have the problem.

BUT with 32-bit, everything goes fine...

i don't understand where i messed up ?

thank a lot for your answers and time spent :)

Antoine

1 Message

February 5th, 2014 02:00

Updating the KMDF to 1.11 in install.wim is just part of the story.We found out that the kmdf 1.11 is also needed during the WinPE driver inject phase.

Since we are running SCCM 2007 SP3 with WAIK 2.0 we are stuck. I tried importing WinPE 5.0 boot.wim that seem to include 1.11 (it's Windows 8.1 based) into sccm but that fails since the import wizard and also the update distribution point wizard all do DISM's in the background where they try to modify the 5.0 WinPE with 3.1 WinPE components and features, and fail.

Any usefull comment is, ofcourse, highly regarded.

gr, Henno.

4 Posts

February 16th, 2014 23:00

Can we just Install KMDF after installation of OS?

I have a similar issue with the latitude e7440 laptop. I haven't created any Custom image to install OS.

3 Posts

February 25th, 2014 11:00

I am also using WinPE 5.0 for boot and Windows 7 SP1 plain Install.wim.  I found the below link incredibly useful, even though I'm running MDT at the moment.  I have SCCM 2012 SP1 but don't have imaging working there yet.  The trick has been to load the individual .cab from the MSU for KMDF 1.11 into MDT and add it to the Task Sequence before Windows Setup, but after the initial install image is laid down.

http://deploymentramblings.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/osd-injecting-the-windows-7-kernel-mode-driver-framework-kmdf/

April 23rd, 2014 15:00

I have the KMDF 1.11 package in my WIM, and I am seeing this exact problem.  I use SCCM 2012 sp1 for deployment, and can get all models to install all drivers by way of a driver package for each model.  All but the newer models (Latitude E6440, Latitude E7440, OptiPlex 7010).  These models all fail to install all of their drivers, but work if I set them up to Auto-Apply drivers.  Any ideas?

April 24th, 2014 13:00

Warren, thanks for the response.  The rules are all 100% correct.  I can go back and forth between the two, with the same WMI query to check for the model, and the driver package does not work, but the Auto Apply does.  Here are some details:

• All older models work with packages (Latitude E6400, E6410, E6420, E6430, OptiPlex 755, 760, 780, 790)
  • No newer models work with packages (Latitude E6440, E7440, OptiPlex 7010)
  • Auto Apply drivers works with all
  • Auto Apply drivers with a category limitation set model-specific works, but is not how I would prefer to manage, especially since I see others say that packages should work

So, by "driver package targeting" I assume you mean that the driver package includes the right drivers, they are enabled, are on the right DP, and are in a package that is selected for the right model?  All those details are all correct, and work on older models, so I don't think I am missing anything here.

1.1K Posts

April 24th, 2014 14:00

Do you have the logs that show that the Apply Driver Package step is doing what you want it to do...but still not working?

April 24th, 2014 14:00

I do save the logs, but am unsure which to check.  Ideas?  Also, I did not mean that this was doing what I wanted it to do, but was not working.  It is setup as the others, but is not working.  Any ideas are appreciated.

1.1K Posts

April 28th, 2014 16:00

The SMSTS.log should provide the details on which package met your WMI qualifications and ran successfully.  

June 27th, 2014 08:00

I'm seeing exactly the same behavior with x86 Windows 7 SP1 installation - I have injected  KMDF 1.11 and that installs fine but setup hangs for hours on "Setup will continue after restarting the computer"

Waiting it out or powering the machine down moves the the deployment forward but none of the two are feasible solutions...

Did you ever find out what was causing this?

June 27th, 2014 09:00

In my scenario, it actually was the driver package for the model.  The package was actually configured differently than the other model driver packages.  The two newer models driver packages were not configured for "Copy the content of this package to a package share on distribution points" like the rest.  Once I did that, these models got their drivers like the rest.

I hope you resolve your issue.

3 Posts

Hi Adrian,

if i remember well, i've updated the WDS image with the drivers and the kmdf 1.11 and it went all fine.

3 Posts

to be more precisely, i've update the Windows Seven image on WDS. Not the win_PE.

i hope it will works for you too!

1 Message

February 28th, 2017 12:00

The issue occurs on my 7470s the same way. I've updated the WIM (before sysprep) and still receive the same issue at boot. 

I've attempted to add it in post, but that still fails.

Please advise

No Events found!