Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2011 08:00

Problem with E6420 and Dell Driver Pack .cab

I have downloaded the Dell Driver pack ver A00 for the E6420, extracted the contents and created a Windows 7 x64 driver package for SCCM OSD. When I deploy the driver pack in the task sequence I have issues with two drivers.
1. Nvidia NVS 4200M does not pnp and does not exist in the windows 7 file repository. If I try and point the device to the source inf folder, it fails to install. Seems like this driver may have some issues in the .cab file. I can get this device installed by downloading the driver individually, extracting it, and pointing it to the extracted inf file. I am importing this one into my driver pack to see if it will work.
2. The HECI drivers will not install at all. The device will show as a PCI Simple Communications Controller. If you try and point it to the inf, it will give the error "Windows found the driver for your device but encountered an error trying to install it".

Any ideas on the HECI driver?

6 Posts

May 19th, 2011 13:00

"The Nvidia driver is a known issue and we have reported it to Nvidia and they are working on a fix."
Any word on a fix for the NVidia driver issue? Seeing the same problem on an XP Image.

9 Posts

May 20th, 2011 12:00

Warren, your fix in #7 appears to work ok. When can we expect an updated cab?

1 Message

May 23rd, 2011 02:00

The E6420s and other new E series notebooks, now come with switchable graphics (Optimus). In order to successfully install the Nvidia driver, the Intel video driver needs to be installed prior to the Nvidia driver.

It would be my recommendation to create two separate driver packages, one for Intel graphics and one for Nvidia graphics. Set the driver package for Intel graphics to install prior to the driver package for Nvidia.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, you could try disabling Optimus from within the BIOS, which will in turn disable the Intel GPU and will then only use the Nvidia GPU.

1.1K Posts

May 27th, 2011 11:00

Richo1,

The Nvidia driver issue is indepentent of the Optimus technology. You get the same issue whether Optimus is enabled or not.

1.1K Posts

May 27th, 2011 11:00

"Warren, your fix in #7 appears to work ok. When can we expect an updated cab?"
No ETA on a new CAB. It would most likely fall after the Nvidia issue is fixed. I'll follow-up on the HECI driver issue.

1 Message

June 1st, 2011 12:00

nVidia drivers 275.33 WHQL just dropped, and showing support for NVS notebook cards now on 4200M and 5100M models which it wasnt in 266.xx. Does this mean that issues are resolved in this release for 64bit 4200M's?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-275.33-whql-driver.html

1.1K Posts

June 1st, 2011 15:00

"Does this mean that issues are resolved in this release for 64bit 4200M's?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-275.33-whql-driver.html"
No, I wouldn't expect this version to address the issues being seen when deploying Nvidia drivers with ConfigMgr. If so, it should be spelled out in the documentation and I'm not seeing it. Additionally, the discussions with Nvidia on this issue are still on going, which would indicate that a fix is not available.

If there was a 64-bit specific issue,that was unrelated to the one I just mentioned, then the 275 version may have addressed that.

12 Posts

June 6th, 2011 13:00

happy I found this thread....
you can add us to the list of folks seeing this...is an issue on Dell and one of the other vendors that uses the optimus cards.
the updated chipset driver someone linked to fixed the pci comm device issues....so that's very much appreciated.
looking forward to hearing about a fix for the Nvidia Card driver

48 Posts

June 8th, 2011 08:00

So we now have the M4600's and they have the exact same video card option in them. With the E6420's we decided to order everything with the onboard Intel video, so I didn't have to face the issue anymore. But with the M4600's having the issue, I had to revisit the problem. I use SCCM 2007 R3 with OSD to deploy my OS. I was trying to use the Nvidia DUP package to install the driver as a package in the task sequence and when I run the exe with the /s switch it does a forced reboot. When looking at the DUP instructions, I get the impression all reboots are supposed to be suppressed when using /s unless you use the /r which forces a reboot. Is this correct? I know I can using the Nvidia package to do a silent install, but I thought it would be nice to take advantage of the work Dell did with DUP this time. Can anyone shed some light on if I am using the DUP package correctly?

1.1K Posts

June 8th, 2011 11:00

If the DUP is forcing a reboot, then that's a problem. You may need to extract the driver from the DUP and use the setup.exe if that isn't forcing a reboot. I'll send your finding to the dev team for review.

1.1K Posts

June 9th, 2011 10:00

I have some feedback from the Dev team. You need to extract the contents of the DUP and run "Setup.exe -n -s" to have it run silently without forcing a reboot. the -n switch causes the reboots to be suppressed.

June 24th, 2011 18:00

"... We had to go to the Intel site and download the latest chipset drivers to resolve the issue on all noted platforms: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20018&keyword=%22series+6+chipset%22&lang=eng"
I browsed to the Intel site and had it detect my hardware. It detected the chipset drivers as valid, but I clicked on the download link anyway and let it run it's own installer. The device installed correctly and the Unknown Device disappeared. Even though everything seemed to be working before-hand, I get a bit OCD when I see that obnoxious icon. Thanks for the tip!

48 Posts

June 27th, 2011 09:00

"I have some feedback from the Dev team. You need to extract the contents of the DUP and run "Setup.exe -n -s" to have it run silently without forcing a reboot. the -n switch causes the reboots to be suppressed."
Thanks Warren. I was able to get the silent install to work using the switches you provided.

12 Posts

June 27th, 2011 10:00

this isn't the final solution though right?
someone's still working on Nvidia to get this fixed correct?

12 Posts

July 15th, 2011 12:00

anyone want to confirm...we were updating drivers and doing eval tests, and appears there's a new optimus driver, 11-06-24 nVidia Video 8.17.12.6883
looks like it is auto installing correctly now, though we do get a few extra windows about an nvidia audio driver being installed successfully.
No Events found!